What did the mechanic do?

Db is correct, there is no serviceable fuel filter on this car.

Your most probably cause of lean operation is an upstream oxygen sensor that’s seen better days. This’ll send a false signal to the ECU and cause fuel metering errors. Other possibilities are dirty injectors, low fuel pressure, and perhaps a dirty mass airflow sensor, although that’ll generally cause other operating problems.

You need a good shop to do a proper diagnosis.

Re: Breaking fittings when replacing auto fuel filters.

Somebody here – I think it was db4690 – mentioned it is important to use a special type of wrench, the type designed specifically for flare fittings. Since I have been following that recommendation, I haven’t had any problems with disconnecting and reconnecting these type of fittings. I acquired two types of these tools, one is the normal wrench version, another, which comes in very handy at times, is a crow’s-foot version.

MAF cleaner is alcohol, pure alcohol. A spray can of MAF cleaner is pretty cheap, all things considered. Throttle body cleaner or carburetor cleaner will damage the MAF.

A common name for those wrenches is “line wrench”

From CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner MSDS:

Naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated light: 80 - 90%
Carbon dioxide: 5 - 10%
2,2,4-Trimethylpentane: 3 - 5%
n-Hexane: 3 - 5%
Methanol: < 1%

Am I missing something here? The OP is asking strangers on this forum what the mechanic did instead of the mechanic that did something .

Why not just go back to the mechanic and say that his fix worked for awhile, but it’s back and maybe he could use more fairy dust this time.

Yosemite

I don’t feel much like driving across the country to see a mechanic

The only thing I can think of that he could have done quickly and which would have an effect on your car in regards to those problems would be cleaning the battery cable terminals.

I suspect the transmission shifting hiccup could be coincidental unless there was voltage fluctuations caused by a poor battery connection which could possibly have affected the ECM to some degree.

Maybe it would be a good idea to go over those battery connections again, check the battery condition out, and the alternator output at the same time.