What are the best clamps?

@Mechaniker‌

I disagree

Talking about how great BMW vehicles and their clamps are is pointless

I worked at a Benz dealer for several years, so I know all about German engineering. German cars are not designed any better than any others. And they’re certainly NOT more reliable

A car is a car

Why do you always sign off with “Danke”

You’re not the only German on this website

For that matter, you’re not the only professional mechanic on this website who completed his Ausbildung in Germany

I have actually seen the clamps he was talking about on other stuff, can t remember what but it wasn t a BMW. they were good clamps tho. I think I saved some. they may have come off an old ford I used for parts.

I can tell you that we used some old german cold saws in the steel trade and they were very well engineered

Db, mechaniker is definitely not a spammer. I urge you to reconsider.

mountainbike

I reconsidered, and I changed it to “disagree”

It’s pointless to glorify German engineering, we’re just talking about hose clamps for an air intake hose

Let’s put things into perspective

Besides, I think German engineering is quite often overrated, and I’m certainly in a position to say so, given my specific background

I’m wise enough to know that German engineering is the best in some situations, but not in all

Just as made in USA occasionally doesn’t guarantee the best

No country is the best at everything all the time

I think the world’s best car could be created by a multi-national team.

The German’s do the engineering, the Italians style it and tune the exhaust, the English make the prototypes and pick the leather for the interior, The Swedes do winter testing, the Americans refine the design for assembly, the Japanese manufacture it, the Americans sell it and the French serve lunch.

Each brings their respective strengths in car building to the project.

…then the Chinese copy it and sell cheap knock offs

IMHO the worlds best car are already being made. I can’t afford any of them, but they’re being made.

How is Mechaniker‌’s comment off topic? You might not agree with his opinion, but that doesn’t make his response off topic.

For what it’s worth, I don’t agree with what @Mechaniker‌ wrote either, but it isn’t off topic, at least not in my opinion.

@Whitey‌

I quote . . .

"For the best in hose clamps, go to the service/parts dept. at any BMW dealership. There you will find that the slots in BMW hose clamps, normally flat-cut in American clamps, are rolled slightly outward in German clamps. This prevents the clamp slots from biting into the rubber hose material when the clamps are tightened.

Just another indication of attention to detail and superior German engineering. Danke."

How is going to BMW counter to get a hose clamp for a 1996 Mazda air intake on-topic?

If OP actually went to the bimmer parts counter with that Mazda air intake hose, who knows what would happen?

if in doubt, just go the Mazda parts counter. There you will get the correct part for the car

What does “another indication of . . . superior German engineering” have to with OP and the air intake hose?

No reason to overengineer and redesign a 1996 Mazda Protege

No offense intended to anybody driving an older Mazda. I used to have one also

Again, those are all points with which I agree. I wholeheartedly disagree with what @Mechaniker wrote.

Again, that doesn’t make what Mechaniker wrote off topic. The topic is hose clamps, and Mechaniker posted about the topic of hose clamps. He merely suggested a source of what he thinks are quality hose clamps. Need a hose clamp for a 2" hose in your Mazda? You can probably find one that fits at a BMW dealership. Need a hose clamp for a 1" heater hose? You can probably get one at a BMW dealership parts counter. IT MIGHT BE (it is) A BAD IDEA, BUT BEING A BAD IDEA DOESN’T MAKE IT OFF TOPIC.

@Whitey‌

I changed it to “disagree”

Go back and check, if you like

Now lets’s get back to discussing Mazda parts for a Mazda vehicle

Yes, let’s do that.

@Juanita, when looking at failure of particular parts, like coolant hoses and such, the weak link in the chain is almost never the hose clamp itself. The hose is more likely to fail than the clamp, but when you replace a hose, unless you’re doing an emergency repair on the side of the road, replacing the hose clamp is a wise precautionary step to take. However, I don’t think you need to go out of your way to find the best hose clamp on the market. If you take the car to an auto parts store, open the hood and show the parts counter clerk what you’re looking for, he can probably make this easy for you and recommend the right size clamp. Going out of your way to find the best hose clamp on the market probably isn’t going to make a difference in the reliability of the car or the component you’re using the clamp on.

My earlier point about nubs on the boot is why a standard clamp won’t often work very well unless one wants to start peeling nubs away with a razor blade. I vaguely remember Juanita’s car as being a Mazda Protege? Correct me if I’m wrong but here’s an example of the nubs I mentioned…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L2-696-604-Dorman-Fuel-Injection-Air-Flow-Meter-Boot-/151317889826?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AMazda

Surely the existing clamps if screw type are not tightened over the top of any nubs?

I agree the search for the perfect part is not that important. I will probably just go to the local parts store and see what is there that will work, maybe have the parts guy come out as Whitey suggested.

Thanks again to all who responded. As to off topic, everything posted was a learning experience, and interesting!