Wet Jetta

Hello all,

I need some help with my girlfriend’s 2004 VW Jetta. She is returning from a trip in 2 weeks and I want to have this problem figured out before she gets back.

The issue is this - there is water, lots of it, in both rear footwells. It has been raining a great deal here (almost everyday) and the car has been sitting (almost level). I have not driven it for nearly six weeks. I checked all of the windows and doors, none were opened or damaged. Now, the car has been outside before (first year of ownership)and then garaged for one year and then back out, so why is this happening now? I cannot find the point of entry.

As a little background, the car was in an accident (right rear passenger impact) before I purchased it. I have had the car for 3 years now with no leaks. All of the sudden this water shows up and I cannot for the life of me figure out where it is coming from. The only thing I can note is that there is a rubber plug on the right passenger side body at the bottom where the door meets the body that is missing, but it has been missing for 3 years now. Any ideas about how the water is getting in?

Got a sun roof? If so likely a drain or two are now clogged. All sun roofs have the same problem. The sun roof is not really sealed. It lets in water normally. However it has four drains, one at each corner and if they get blocked, then the water has nowhere to go so it ends up in the car.

I do have a sunroof. I squeezed the two drains on the front and water came out. When I squeezed the drains on the back, nothing came out. Do you think that means they are clogged? Would it make sense that the floors in the back only would be wet and not the headliner or any other part of the car?

Seems that the sunroof was the problem. After purging all four drains and making sure water flows through them, I have not had any further issues. Thanks for the help!