I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant ES. In December 2012, I drove to a friends house and when I turned the car off something happened. My automatic lock keychain (to open/ close doors and open the trunk) didn’t work. I then realized all the other stuff that stopped:
- Usually when I turn my car off, the headlights stay on for a few seconds before they dim and turn off… now the minute I turn the car off the headlights go off
- The overhead light does not come on, even when the car is running
- My radio channels reset every time the car is turned off (the radio does not remember pre-programmed channels)
- The temporary odometer (a and b) resets to 0 every time the car is turned off. The one that tracks overall mileage still works
- Like I said before, the keychain lock does not work
Things I have had checked out:
- The battery is fine- had it checked out at AutoZone. I put in a new battery sometime in August 2012
- I checked the fuses on the side panel near the steering wheel- there are no blown fuses
The car runs fine otherwise- I manually open/ close the door locks and reset the radio channels whenever I go on long drives. I can’t use the overhead light- but its not a big deal. Just wondering what might be the problem and how much it may cost to fix. I figure if its not too much- I will go ahead and get it fixed.
As a second question, my car has 142k miles on it. What are the suggested guidelines for changing the timing belt on my car- is it needed at some point?