Weird-looking VW oil drain plug?

What sort of tool do you use for this?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-hamburg-tech-parts/vw-audi/06l103801~ham

Why are you posting a link to a business ?

There is a tool designed for that drain plug.

1 Like

Thanks, good info. I’m presuming VW must have needed an oil drain plug design that fits quite flush to the oil pan. Since that is not a wrench-friendly configuration, a special screwdriver-like tool is used.

If this was mine, I’d immediately look for a replacement plug with a normal hex head. I hate that stuff.

My Prius came with weird anti-theft lug nut … uh … thingamagigs? I did come with the “special socket” for it, but one of the first things I did was just order up some normal lug nuts to replace those weird things. Like I need to mess with that stuck on the side of road with a flat?

1 Like

My Audi came with a drain plug with an internal Torx… I think. I changed it to a hex plug the first oil change. The Torx just looked like future trouble.

Since I bought an oil sucker, even that gets no use! I don’t even need to take off the undertray to do oil changes. Suck it out thru the dipstick tube. Oil filter is on top. No muss, no fuss.

I’m sure the residual amount is so small that it has no practical significance, but I always wondered about those fluid suckers in terms of how well they well they really suck out all of the old. I’m one of those people who gets things heated up and finds other things to do while I let things drip for longer than any shop would - just to let as much of the old dirty come out as possible.

So always thought I got more of the old and dirty out that way than a sucker could. Thoughts?

I’m more of an old school guy and like to see what drains out

3 Likes

A lot of shops only use an oil sucker for certain Audi’s due to the problems with undertrays and their bolts… I think (some) Audi dealers (and maybe others too) use the suck method for oil changes also…

Best part is you will never have to deal with a striped oil pan that way either… The better equipped service vans that come to you, use oil suckers, much safer then spilling oil on the ground and who really wants a large oil spill on their nice pretty white concrete driveway anyway??..

1 Like

Those are called Wheel locks. Did you buy your car used? New cars don’t normally come with wheel locks. If wheel theft is a problem in your area these can be useful. I have given up using them as I live in a low crime area.

So far I have only used it twice. It uses compressed air through an orifice to create vacuum so it is noisey by itself and then the compressor runs.

On the Audi, with warm oil, it seemed remove all of the oil. There are measurement lines on the tank so you know how much came out. The sucker line could be inserted a bit deeper to get all the oil. It eliminated jacking the car and removing the lower tray. Made the job far easier.

I tried it on the truck. I needed a step stool to hold it high enough to reach and I had to use one of the smallest tubes down the dipstick tube. It took a while but still got all of the oil. But I still needed to get under it to replace the filter.

I didn’t bother with the Mustang. The sucker holds 7 quarts, the Mustang 8 and I still need to jack the car and drop the tray to reach the filter so no reason to use the sucker.

Overall worth it if just for the Audi.

2 Likes

My dealer seems to include them on all cars, as my last two cars from them had them (even though I live in a pretty safe area).

Almost all of the vehicles in my area, at least up until about 5 years ago, came with wheel locks either on the vehicle already or in the trunk (or glove box) for the customer to install… Mazda of Nashville, for a few years anyway, installed them but kept the wheel lock keys… There is a skyscraper there now with a Whole Foods in it… lol

Funny thing was sometimes you would see them on a stock steel wheeled w/hubcaps econobox Kia but not on a high end low pro $600 BMW/MB wheels… :man_facepalming:

I always said, when was the last time you saw a vehicle up on blocks missing the wheels, people just steal the whole vehicles now… lol
Yes I had a few show me pictures of vehicles up on blocks, but I was referring to the South…

Just another scammy dealer. You can go into an Autozone and buy wheel locks for $30. I’m sure the stealer is way overcharging for them and then adds $100 to Install them.

Toyota and Lexus have offered wheel locks as a factory option for decades.

Technicians have master wheel lock key sets so they don’t need to search the vehicles for the customers key, customers very rarely leave the key in a conspicuous place.

The dealer parts department sells replacement wheel lock keys for those who can’t find the original equipment key. When the vehicle is traded in, the used car technician finds two keys, then keeps the second key for himself.

Those are very common…and extremely easy to defeat.

Nope, mine were provided by the manufacturer, they will be usually be in the glove box. Highly doubt any charge to install when having tires rotated. I just have never bothered.

On my BMW it seems they didn’t offer a dipstick. :sleepy:

Has the dashboard oil level display on your BMW ever had any problems? As long as that function works reliably, no need for dipstick.

It will not read until the engine is running, I like to check the oil before even starting the car