Water pump on V6 2011 jeep liberty had large water leak?

My daughters Liberty had a very large leat out of the water pump , I thought water pumps only weep out water when they leak

Nope, sometimes they gush.

*so where do they gush from a shaft, a gasket, a weep hole,or not common a freeze out plug ? hmmm

From a hose - yes, some water pumps have multiple hoses on them, a seal, because sometimes the seal blows out and dumps coolant out the weep hole, a freeze plug is possible but I have never seen one blow out and they aren’t on the water pump, and in this case, the pump to block seal especially if the water pump housing warps.

All moot since you have to find the source of the leak in any event by check all the hoses and expansion tank and unions, any of which may have split and blown coolant under pressure all over the place.

1 Like

My Chevy Impala gushed coolant out of a failed water pump seal. All after stopping at a roadside restaurant after a long drive. It required a tow truck to get it to the nearest shop. Thank for AAA service!

Thanks Mustang m
I replaced the Pump and the thermostat and its running good again no leaks holding steady temperature on the Gage.

1 Like

Thanks Docnick
I fixed the problem new pump new thermostat , I had a few Chevy v8 blocks where the water pump blew , most of the time it was the impeller slipping on the shaft not moving the antifreeze through.