Water in rear passenger door

My 1996 Toyota Avalon runs great. However, it is starting to smell musty because rain water is somehow entering my rear passenger door. I have checked the seals and there does not appear to be any leaks where the water could be collecting. When I open the door, I hear water swishing inside the door. The mechanic drilled holes in the bottom of the door but water still stays in the door. I would like to keep my car for several more years. I placed 4 Damp Rid containers on the back seat and they collect water! I replace them every time it rains. I appreciate your comments and help with this dilemma.

I would think that the door would have drain holes that were put in the door at the factory. All doors get water accumulation, but the factory drain holes allow the water to run out. These holes sometimes get plugged, but can be cleared with a stiff wire. I don’t understand drilling more holes or why, if the holes were drilled, the water didn’t run out. My guess is that the mechanic drilled the holes in the wrong place.
If you can’t locate the factory drain holes, take your car to a body shop.
I’ve had this problem before and could hear the water swishing inside the door. It took just a few seconds to locate the drain holes and ram a stiff wire up the holes to clear out the debris so the water would flow out.

1 Like

My 95 Avalon had the same problem. This is the sure, cheap fix and you can do it yourself. Get a tig welding filler rod small diameter and open the door. You will not see the drain because they are covered. but looking forward or aft at the bottom of the door slide the welding rod horizontally in at the bottom. That is essentially a drain trough for the concealed holes. It will be a little trying at first but do not give in to the resistance. I promise you that it will work and you’ll feel great that you DIY! good luck

Like the others here say, the problem is just that the drains on the bottom are plugged. Any passenger door that has a window that rolls up and down will get water in it when it rains. There’s no way to seal it water tight. Think what a job that would be, a water tight seal for a 60 mph rain storm? And still allow you to easily roll the window up and down? Unlikely.

So some rain water will hit the window, run down, and get past that window seal at the bottom outside of the window. The car makers, what they do is accept this fact, and design a little rain gutter and trench system inside the door so water that gets in, it goes through this system of catwalks, and drains right out the bottom. Quick as a pinch. All the trenches, they are all rust proof, so no harm, no foul. Clean out the drains at the bottom, one way or the other, and the problem will be solved.

1 Like

My Jettas had that problem. I used drill bits,

If you plan to keep the car much longer, an inquire at a body shop to see your alternatives which might include removal of the door panel to open drains. Drilling on your own is a guess…Then, oil the heck out of the bottom of the door seams to help prevent rusting. Do this through the now, opened drain holes. Using a coat hanger might help but will still be left with some rust inspiring debris. Car makers can do a better job but don’t for obvious reasons and some rust is enevitable without your intervention to coat area and make sure it drains properly. Inner panels are painted but there is no permanent rust proofing going on at the factory on your behave, anywhere. That’s your job.