Wanted: Right on Red Bumper Sticker Slogan

Nearly all “No right turn on red” signs I know of are at railroad tracks where drivers would have to pull forward and stop on the tracks to see cross traffic. Stopping on railroad tracks is prohibited so it makes perfect sense. Our school busses are required to turn on 4 way flashers and stop at all railroad tracks.

Different states different traffic laws it’s that simple. Of course in my state you are required to stop before turning.

I’ve lived and traveled in many states on East of the Mississippi. Every place I’ve lived in or driven in right on Red Arrow is allowed - Unless there’s a sign saying it’s now allowed.

The law in most states actually read - “Right Turn on Red is allowed after coming to a complete stop and giving all other traffic and pedestrians the right-of-way.”

Left on red is allowed in many states - but only turning from a one-way street onto another one-way street. Again the same rules apply… “Turn on Red is allowed after coming to a complete stop and giving all other traffic and pedestrians the right-of-way.”

2 Likes

I’m seeing more “no right turn on red” signs at Florida at intersections where there are two or three right turn lanes.

There is one intersection in Jacksonville* that has two right turn lanes and one left turn lane. Both right turn lanes have red arrows, and people turn right on red from both lanes. I wish they would put up a sign that reads either “right turn on red from right lane only” or “no turn on red.” It’s one of the most poorly-designed intersections I’ve seen in the area.

*Google Earth image of the intersection

NY has a lot of them too. Some are just plain stupid. The lights are all timed (no sensors) and you sit at the red light waiting for it to turn green. And you’re the only vehicle in any direction for over a mile.

II would not turn right if an advance arrow was red. (And I don’t think it would be enforced if I chose not to). As with voting procedures, it is long past time to standardize traffic laws throughout the U.S.

???
:confused:

I know what the word means. Most people turning right on red are not even slowing down long enough to assess whether or not there is a dangerous situation. They are not coming to a complete, or near-complete stop before proceeding with the turn. I have no distorted view. Throwing out “how you got to that point is very curious indeed?” Well, it is witnessing the lack of care constantly taken by most drivers. It is seeing people who use electric wheel chairs nearly get creamed because a driver comes over a short hill knowing he or she can turn right on red, and nothing, but nothing is going to impede them. And, funnily enough, it was listening to the brothers for decades and having that validation that jerks on the road are jerks on the road. This has absolutely nothing to do with being rabidly, or otherwise, emotional.

Please show me where I personally insulted someone.

If I ever had another user name, I used it once and lost it, but I doubt it. My comments are related to this form. There is no displaced anger. The comments are not petty, and there is no attempt to dredge up anything. I want people to be safe on the roads and to drive responsibly. Also, to have laws of the road clear to all travelling them. There was nothing “ugly” going on in these comments.

When I approach an intersection that has a “right turn on red” sign, I ALWAYS come to a brief stop–despite the folks behind me who apparently want me to just whip around that turn without even slowing down.

That being said, I have been able to drive for the past 47 years with no traffic accidents whatsoever, while you brag about driving 10 mph under the speed limit, and have been rear-ended five times…and may have had other traffic accidents that you failed to mention.

Why have I been accident-free for 47 years, while you have not had a record to rival mine?
Just some food for thought…:smirk:

1 Like

That was, “I” would not turn right if there was an advance arrow that was showing red. Red indicates Stop. Not stop and go. If there is oncoming traffic crossing an intersection, I can’t see what indicators are on that side of the road. Never mind.

Excuse me. Are you replying to me? I’m not sure. I didn’t brag about anything. I didn’t even say that I drove 10 mph under the speed limit, which I don’t. I didn’t get rear-ended five times - or ever.

It’s very concerning. I saw a driver drive over a rock and into a ditch rather than wait 3 seconds for the driver in front turning left to do so. Anyway… .driving could return to being more pleasurable… if only…

I’m not “yelling” at anyone. Your post is wise. You know that drivers are changing their safe driving habits in order to avoid being hit by drivers who do not drive by the rules. So, it becomes a matter caving into pressure from other drivers almost in self-defense. I don’t do that. I pull off the road when it is safe to do so and let them have their way. The driving laws are minimal, and rarely enforced. The least any driver can do is to obey these minimal laws.

First - having reviewed the posts, and added some comments, and supported others, if what I wrote is seen to be contrary to use, as opposed to what others have written, then I am happy to stay away from all discussions, and Car Talk. I was responding to a comment where the poster called the OP timid, and advised that he or she turn in their driver’s license. I consider that quite strong, as well as wrong. No one moderated that.
Then, there is the instance of the poster who tries to “pin down the writing style,” alleges that I changed my identifying name, am “projecting,”… etc., and this, too, is not cause for a cautionary note. I know there is a term for people who attempt to control forums, but this seems to be an instance of that. Even on cancer forums, for example, there are those who are given carte blanche - which should never happen. At least a discussion about turning right on red, is only potentially life and death.
In any event - I’ll stay off the site, willingly, given the conditions there.

I wish I could figure out why you’re so belligerent that you’re arguing with people who agree with you. You reply to the same person several times, rather than in a single post, making you look both angry and erratic.

We all agree that one should only turn right on red when it is safe and legal to do so.

We all agree it’s rude to pressure someone to turn on red when it isn’t safe and legal to do so.

So why go out of your way to pick nits and argue about minutiae? Around here, we’ve learned to respectfully disagree with one another. We discuss the issue while trying not to make it personal. We don’t attack individuals the way you have.

Was I blunt and harsh with the original poster in this discussion? Yes, I was, but this discussion happened almost four years ago. I’ve mellowed since then, as have most of the regulars in this forum. I give much of the credit to @cdaquila and her attempts to make it a nicer more civil place.

If we agree on the two points I mentioned above, we have nothing of substance to argue about. If you want to keep bickering, have at it.

I neglected to disable reply notifications. The site is yours. You are the “we,” and that is important to you. I have shown no “belligerence,” not nit-picking, nor arguing about minutiae. You did, in fact instigate the problems here, and although you claim to have reformed, you have not, and will not take responsibility for what you are doing. I will leave the site. It is yours to manage as you see fit, preferring the voices of the brothers in my thoughts, and their wisdom concerning obeying the rules of the road, and, overall, consideration. I hope this “win” does it for you. I doubt that it will.

Regarding Whereisthebus’s statement red always means stop. Yes it does. We may then be allowed to turn right in all states and turn left in many states under the restrictions you posted. The red arrow versus solid red seems to confuse most drivers. In Oregon we are allowed to turn left on red from a two - way street to a one - way street under the same restrictions. I’m guessing from observation that about 90% of our drivers are not aware of this law. Here you have to study the driver’s manual and pass a written test to get a driving permit at the age of 15. Passing an actual driving test at age 16 earns you a driver’s license potentially for life never having to open a driver’s manual again. Although it can be questionable on this forum I’m guessing more people in my state read their vehicle owner’s manual. than the driver’s manual.

Wow. I’ve driven over a million miles and really have not had the same experience with people being oblivious to traffic laws. Sure there are some but most are fairly decent drivers. We just think its silly to sit at a red light to make a right turn when there is no other traffic or pedestrians. That’s why the law was changed in the first place, to improve traffic flow.

1 Like