Wanted: Right on Red Bumper Sticker Slogan

This was a reply of yours to TSMB. Apparently you have very different standards regarding insulting, argumentative and belligerence. And you replied to one of my posts to disagree with me, when you misinterpreted my post completely.

2 Likes

I am glad you gave me a iike, If I can speak for the collective we, we are glad to have you as a member, sometimes we fail in the ability to express exactly what we mean, me included, and think we all have to work on communicating our thoughts clearly, but maintain a level of congeniality in the meantime.

Itā€™s regional. Boston area drivers are the worse Iā€™ve seen. Thereā€™s a very large percentage of extremely aggressive drivers who blatenly break the law. Light turns red youā€™ll see 3-5 cars in line going through. Stopping on red before turning right is almost non existent. Highway driving is the worse. A large number of cars driving 20-30 mph over the rest of the cars. People who talegatei percentage is well over 60%.

I find it relaxing when I drive in other parts of the country.

1 Like

As someone else said ā€œin NY we have a lot of on right on red signsā€. It seems that our Dot is very proactive. More than one crash at a site will get a no right on red sign installed, crashes on rural two lanes will get the dotted passing center line replaced by a solid double yellow center line and enough complaint from rural residents will get 55mph two lanes reduced to 45mph. One crosstown 4 lane near me has been changed to all 2 lane with a double yellow line the whole way, about 4 miles.

90% of drivers don;t stop here before making a right on red. If you donā€™t stop, you don, have time to check for all the things you should be looking for. I have had people blow the horn at me simply for stopping before I turn. Now if they blow, I wait for the green.

When I was driving a school bus, I was frequently driving students in a car, suburban or minivan. NY will no longer let these be painted school bus yellow but we are still not permitted to make a right on red when transporting students. We could not put sign on the cars that we didnā€™t do right on red because we shared the cars with driver ed.

School buses are allowed to turn right on red by law here, but it generates so many complaints from the public that our district would not permit it.

Well . . . ?!

Okay, got it. Take care.

1 Like

Youā€™re correct, and I apologizeā€“as I always do if I have erred.
I had you confused with another recent addition to this forum, who brags about driving 10 mph under the speed limit, and later revealed that he has been rear-ended five times.

Itā€™s still the law in NYC (no right on red) except where specifically posted.

1 Like

NYC is its own special city with some of their own sompecial laws. Thatā€™s why I never drive there. Good public transportation so driving your own car isnā€™t necessary

2 Likes

NOā€¦never turn on a red arrow, left or rightā€¦ You do not know if the signal pattern is symmetrical. (You know: It is red for us, then green for them, then red for usā€¦etc.) There may a different patternā€“at differing times of day, think school zones!ā€“If an arrow is red there is a reason for it, not just to p**s you off. Assume traffic engineers know what they are doing, and save a lifeā€¦maybe even your own.

In Boston signaling a turn or a lane change is considered ā€œGiving information to the enemy!ā€

1 Like

Then change the law.

1 Like

You donā€™t need to know whether the signal pattern is symmetrical in order to see and know whether youā€™re clear to turn right on red. If a car is approaching from any direction, you just wait until it is safe and legal to turn right on red.

2 Likes

From current Oregon Driver Manual. The same turns allowed for a steady red signal are allowed
for a red arrow.

I like that, wonder how it is in my state. Many left turn lights are now a flashing yellow arrow, a big improvement, always hated waiting at a red left turn arrow with green straight through lights, and no oncoming traffic.

Same here. The dedicated left turn lanes were no turn on red light. Big improvement. I have never experienced asymmetrical traffic lights. It sounds very confusing.

It is not just oncoming traffic, arrow signals may control the left-turning behavior of lanes in the cross traffic. You cannot see their turn arrow lights (and good chance these are not symmetrical, based on road volumes), and I would bet you probably cannot accurately guess what they are planning to do (given the propensity of so many to either not signal, or only signal as they make their turnā€“essentially useless!)

So you have three lanes of traffic to monitor to be sure these lanes are clear. Me, I would rather trust when my laneā€™s left-turn arrow turns green, and then use my attention to monitor for last-minute idiots.