Wanted: Right on Red Bumper Sticker Slogan

I am looking for a short slogan for a bumper sticker that essentially says, “Right on Red, a May not a Must.” When I am at an unfamiliar intersection where the sight-line is impeded or at an intersection that I know is particularly dangerous, I prefer to wait for a green light than turn right on red. I am tired of getting honked at by people who should have left for their destination 10 minutes earlier if they are so impatient that they get angry at having to wait perhaps two minutes to continue on their way. One time, I had a crazy crowd me on the left hand side as he passed to show his annoyance that I dared to wait for a green light.

1 Like

How about “It’s my right to impede you”? A right turn on red is like a stop sign, you are expected to go at the first safe chance. How long do you wait at stop signs? If you are tired of being honked at, it must happen often. Maybe you should rethink your position on this and go with what the driving public expects.

I’d put it more kindly tgan David L, but I think the sticker you requested does more harm than good.

From the point of view of the “honker,” you’re “wasting his time.” With the bumper sticker, now it’s “premeditated wasting of time.” That’s likely to make things worse, not better.

A better idea (might) be to put a made-up serial number on your bumper (“4G78E” unless you have a better one) and a bumper sticker saying: “Driver prohibited from right turns on red.”

Meaning, if others think you’re bound by company policy vs. Choosing not to turn, they might cut you more slack.

1 Like

David is 100% right. When turning right, a red light is supposed to be treated like a stop sign, and you have no excuse for not turning right on red when it is safe and legal to do so.

If you’re too timid to drive around other people, perhaps it’s time to surrender your license.

1 Like

“David is 100% right. When turning right, a red light is supposed to be treated like a stop sign, and you have no excuse for not turning right on red when it is safe and legal to do so.”

But he does have an excuse: “an unfamiliar intersection where the sight-line is impeded or at an intersection that I know is particularly dangerous”

Or did you leave out the :slight_smile: ?

1 Like

School busses have these stickers.
“THIS VEHICLE DOES NOT TURN ON RED”
( but they have a reason )

@texases, you make a good point. I may have been a bit drastic.

Good driving is about knowing when to be assertive and knowing when to be timid. The OP came across as someone who stays on the timid side, but maybe this particular situation calls for that kind of approach.

Right on red is not mandatory,alot of people with a cursory glance from the text message will breeze on through and there is a little bit of confusion on this subject,theres an intersection in Charlottesville,VA,were the sign on the light clearly says no right on red and probaly a third of the people treat it as such anyway,if someone in front of me chooses not to turn on red,I usually dont press the issue the truck I drive in such situations has such limited accelaration its usually hazardous for me to turn right on red-Kevin(be courteous it doesnt take that long on. I-64 the other day,I dropped my speed in a work zone(as you are supposed to and moved to the right) some buffon came speeding by and blowing a siren of sorts and waving his hand to the left(he didnt notice there was 5 of us in the 4door vs his singularity) be kind people its cheap and safe

1 Like

Sorry for the delay, reloading gun! Bumper Sicker?

2 Likes

I used to be in a hurry, and then I grew up.

4 Likes

How about “I don’t turn right on green, either”.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be great if everyone drove as good as I do? BTW, that is not a bumper sticker suggestion, just an observation from reading threads like this one.

When I am at an unfamiliar intersection where the sight-line is impeded
or at an intersection that I know is particularly dangerous,

If they are truly impeded or dangerous, they are usually designated as such with a sign that says- no right on red. So we’re left to assume that you are; unusually safety conscious, timid or have a hunk of junk that can barely get out of its own way and is a danger to merge unless there is clear line of sight for 1/2 mile.

I prefer to wait for a green light than turn right on red.
I had a crazy crowd me on the left hand side as he passed to show his annoyance that I dared to wait for a green light.

Because he felt it was both safe and prudent to make the turn, he’s crazy and annoyed? I think you may have just shown your hand. Because YOU don’t think it’s safe, then no one should be allowed to progress until YOU dictate…

If you don’t feel it’s safe, that’s fine. Just snuggle over to the right a bit so people who do can swing past and make the turn. How is that affecting you?

“If you don’t feel it’s safe, that’s fine. Just snuggle over to the right a bit so people who do can swing past and make the turn. How is that affecting you?”

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Don’t mess with the normal flow of traffic.

All the rules I found used words like ‘may turn right when the driver is certain it is safe to proceed.’ NONE used the words ‘must turn right…’

1 Like

@texases- rules for stop signs don’t say you “must go” either. They work the same way.

Again, we’re not talking about rules, just the expectations of the driving public. If you want to drive (or stop) as to impede other peoples’ progress, you should expect to get grief from them, not get tired of it.

I guess I disagree that a right on red is the same as a stop sign, in that the red light will eventually turn green, while the stop sign won’t.

@texases,

Based on your position, I wonder how you would feel if you were stopped behind a car at a red light where you can see there are no cars coming at all, waiting to turn right. Would you be happy to sit there waiting for the red light to turn green, even if there are no cars coming? Assume the person in front has his right turn signal on in a “right turn only” lane, and it’s legal to turn right on red.

Nope, not happy, been there. But the OP said he had safety concerns at the certain signals. So I think he doesn’t have to turn if he fills it unsafe. And I don’t have to like it.

1 Like

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Don’t mess with the normal flow of traffic.

He’s already messing with the “normal” flow of traffic and yes, when you do unexpected things, they contribute to frustration and potential for accidents.

Nobody is making him turn. But he’s getting bent out of shape because people are getting frustrated with his actions and then upset if someone goes around him. Sounds like a control freak similar to the people who drive 64.5 mph in the left most lane of the expressway and complain if people pass them on the right.

He has to put up with the honks, they have to put up with him. He’s not obligated to turn.

1 Like