Waiting in line for a chance to buy a new E-Ray Corvette

On Local news last night here in NH they were showing the people waiting line to put their name on a list to buy a new E-Ray corvette. MacMulkin Chevrolet in Nashua NH became the #1 Corvette dealer in the world last year, so they get the right to sell the new E-Ray first. Temps last night were well below freezing. And NO I was NOT there. Although I do know one guy who was.

Corvette enthusiasts camp overnight to order new model at Nashua, NH dealership (wmur.com)

I bet first car made is already sold.

1 Like

Clearly, Corvette has a winner with consumers.

1 Like

There are a lot of folks out there who neither want nor even approve of electric cars. And that’s fine…but those folks tend to shout a lot louder than most.

The fact that there are customers waiting in line to buy not only Corvettes but several other Ford models tell me there are a lot of customers out there very interested in electric vehicles. They just “shout” with their pocketbooks…and that’s what automakers are listening to. As it should be.

3 Likes

Just like a new Apple i"anything" release. :rofl: :joy: :crazy_face:

The E-Ray is a hybrid.

1 Like

To quote Miss Caldwell–my 10th grade English teacher–whenever she had to deal with mouthy boys…
Empty barrels make the most noise.

:thinking:

I stand corrected. But my original point remains.

OK…So what? There’s a lot of people who DO want an EV. There’s a lot of people who don’t want to own a Toyota…but also a lot of people who do.

I own a Toyota, but I would rather own an E- Ray Corvette.
My doctor wrote on his prescription pad that, for my mental health, I needed a Mazda Miata sports car. I took the prescription home and Mrs. Triedaq said she would take the prescription and have it filled. She came back with a Toyota Sienna. I said, “That’s no Miata”. Mrs. Triedaq said, “I had the prescription filled generically”.
If the President of the United States can have a Corvette and he is about my age, I should have one as well. I am just not willing to wait in line to get one and I won’t send Mrs. Triedaq out to get one for me. Who knows what she would bring home.

5 Likes

The President’s Corvette is a 1967. You can buy one of those anytime, although it can easily cost as much or more than an e-ray will.

1 Like

@jtsanders I would like to have a Corvette, but at my age I would have problems getting in and out. I have a good friend who is my age and 6’ 2" tall that sold his Corvette because it was difficult for him and his wife to get in and out.
A family owned used car dealership where I had bought a car had a used MG Midget on the lot. The sons were tied up with customers, so the mother who was the manager gave me the keys and said to go sit in it and start it up. She said if I could get in the MG, they might just give it to me. After I got in the MG, she came out of the showroom and said “I hope you can get out of the car because if you can’t you have to buy it”. I almost had to buy the MG.

2 Likes

I wonder if the top secret classified document found in the President’s garage where his Corvette is stored might have been the owner’s manual for the Corvette.

3 Likes

Shortly after Subaru introduced the BRZ roadster, I decided to sit in one at the dealership while my car was being serviced. Getting in wasn’t too problematic, but when it came time to get out, I had to crawl out onto the showroom floor because my creaky old back wouldn’t let me get out any other way. If there had been anyone else around at the time, it would have been somewhat embarrassing. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Speaking of Corvettes, it’s a real shame that Oldsmobile wasn’t given the go-ahead to build their version of the original Corvette. Instead of that pathetic “Blue Flame” six paired with two-speed Powerglide, the F-88 Olds featured a 250 hp V-8 and 4-speed Hydramatic. Luckily, this concept car wasn’t crushed, and in 2005 it sold for $3.2 million at Scottsdale.

More pics can be seen here:

1 Like

The Corvette loses some of its allure when you’re so old, you have to roll out onto the floor to get out of it. I’m getting close to that stage…

Edit: HA! I just saw VDC’s post. Same deal.

2 Likes

Waiting is line does not sound as silly as someone paying 565000.00 USD for the first 2024 Mustang .

1 Like

OTOH, the proceeds from the sale will be donated to a charity called Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. The car is a 5L Mustang GT with about 485 HP.

This certainly isn’t the first time charity sales at Barrett-Jackson auctions go for astounding amounts. Rick Hendrick owns Hendrick Motorsports and Hendrick automotive Group. He’s magnificently rich and routinely buys the Chevrolet cars sold for charity auctions at Barrett-Jackson.

That car is gorgeous!

Slightly less attractive–but still good-looking–was the Pontiac version of the original Corvette, with 230 hp straight-8 and Hydramatic. This concept car sold for $3 million at Scottsdale, in 2006.

The rear aspect is a bit weird, IMHO, and–of course–anyone riding in it on a hot day would have been roasted underneath the plexiglass canopy.

1 Like