Volvo S40 Air bag (SRS) light

Hi,

The Air bag (SRS) light came out on my Volvo S40 2005 (74.000 mile)
The people at the dealer want to replace the Air bag module for $1200 they told me that they cannot read the message because the computer doesn’t respond… so they want to replace it and then charge me $$$$ for something else… they also said that I cannot buy the part from a junk yard because I will be liable if I sell the car and the air bags don’t deploy…
Some blogs on the net talk about the seat bealt been the issue… or the conection cables under the seat…
The car didn’t passed inspection because of it so I cannot park on the streets because I get a ticket…

Please help…

Thanks

Here is what can happen…A fault in the system causes a fuse to blow in the bag module…This is not a replaceable fuse… This disables the system and prevents the bags from deploying…If you replace the module with a new or used one, you risk destroying that one too unless the underlying problem has been repaired first…Dealerships have a diagnostic tool that plugs into the bag module connector and allows them to see what is wrong with the system…Some body shops that work on European cars MIGHT be able to diagnose the problem…

A salvage yard part is a gamble, you don’t know if it’s good or not…

You can try removing/disabling the bag warning light and hope the inspector does not notice it is not working. They are usually more concerned with the check engine light than the bag light…

Here is one for $145. Check eBay for cheaper ones…

thanks for your help

Pulling the bulb trick may not work anymore. I don’t know how many other makes/models do this, but the airbag light on my 2000 Ford Explorer recently burned out, and now I get a series of five beeps everytime I start the truck, and periodically as I drive. I deduced this by reading a Ford forum, and noticing the light doesn’t come on with the self-test. I’m just waiting for a couple of free hours on a weekend to pull the cluster and replace the bulb.