Volvo "over steering"?

1997 Volvo S90 (970), 72k miles.

Oddest thing, but for some reason I seem to be over steering when I make right turns at intersections. Also, when just moving my wheel (any speed) within a lane, left or right, the car seems to over respond; like hyper-power steering. The rear feels stable but my front seems to want to over respond to my steering wheel if that makes sense. My mechanic says my front left shock absorber is starting to go, but in his opinion, nowhere needing a change yet. Could this be it or something else for him to investigate?

PS: wheel alignment is fine, tires properly inflated.

thx much

How long have you owned it? This is a new problem? Hit any curbs lately? I’d have them look for a worn suspension component (link, bushing, etc). When you bounce the front corners of the car up and down, does the left behave differently than the right?

owned since '98. This is fairly new issue, few months.
Curbs? Not that I recall.
Mechanic bouned both front sides and said the left is “going” but didn’t feel it was enough to warrant at this time. He’s been correct and reliable for years.
Might this be a classic symptom of a worn shock and I should just have the two front replaced?

It might be, and if your trusted mechanis says one is going, then have them both replaced. You’ll need to do it anyway, and he’ll also be able to double check the rest of the front end components at that time. If they’re good, and the new struts do not fix it, I’m not sure what else it would be.

I would be looking for something bent, or something shifting position - like a broken or worn bushing.

The front and rear suspensions of the Volvo’s are both complicated. I suspect something has gone out of whack with the rear suspension. Are you getting any “clunking” noises when you go from reverse to drive?

Lots of bushings, control arms, and supports with brackets that can all wear and fail. It could also be the steering rack is hanging up and not letting the steering wheel return to center when you finish a turn.