Vibration in 2004 Subaru Forester XT

I have a 2004 Subaru Forester XT with 111,000 pus miles that has a vibration (like a wash board sound and feel) between 35 to 40 mph at slow acceleration. When I let off the gas or give it more, it goes away. If I stay within that range the vibration is sever and the check engine light comes on.

The dealer looked at the Forester twice this week and has NO idea what’s going on! They determined that the number one cylinder was misfiring so they cleaned the fuel system and injector, replaced the plugs and timing belt but the problem persist. The tires have been balanced.

I am not sure what the answer is but the clue is in your check engine light. Get a code reading if you can.

It was 300 something telling them that the number one cylinder was misfiring. Thanks.

They replaced the plugs and worked on the fuel system, but I don’t see where the plug wires were replaced. At 6 years and over 100,000 miles, I think the plugs may well be due.

BTW I suggest OEM type plug wires, not the fancy colored fat extra expensive wires.

I’ll mention the plug wires to the dealer and let you know.

You might have 2 separate issues. The vibration is one, and the check engine light and misfire is another.

The vibration could be a joint in the drive train that is going bad. You have lots of CV joints both the front and back and several U type joints in the drive shaft running from the front to the back of the car.

I had an AWD Volvo that even had a U-joint in the middle of the driveshaft that failed and caused a similar vibration.

I’ll mention this as well, thanks.