Used Rav4 hybrid? — 2019 or later

Hi—

I’ve been looking to buy a used small SUV and Rav4 is at the top of my list. I had been looking for older, gas models of the Rav4, CRV, and a couple of other vehicles, but recently learned about (and secured) a Vermont tax incentive that’ll cover 25% off a used hybrid. Only certain vehicles meet the state’s MPG requirements but that includes 2019 and later Rav4 hybrid models. (The plug-in ones aren’t an option for me where I live.)

In any event, I’ve now started seriously thinking about getting a used Rav4 hybrid, 2019 or later, which seem to run for about $24K-30K. I’m curious about:

1. Anyone’s impressions of these models—is it as good as the older gas-powered Rav4s? Is AWD good and does it handle well in snow?

2. Probably more significantly—because I’ve seen good reports on their handling—whether spending the amount above on a Rav4 hybrid with anywhere from 60-90k miles is crazy? A big question for me there is the battery life. I’ve never had a hybrid and don’t know whether that kind of mileage in a used hybrid, particularly these Rav4 models, is a bad idea.

Any input appreciated.

I thought it would be worthwhile to mention that the hybrid battery warranty is 8 years/100,000 miles on 2019 and earlier model years and was increased to 10 years/150,000 miles for the 2020 model year.

1 Like

I expect either would be a pretty good choice. the price seems sort of expensive, but maybe w/the state rebate it can be justified. A couple of suggestions before writing any checks

• Research what Consumer Reports Used Car Guide has to say about these vehicles as used cars.

• Pay your own shop to put the prospective car on their lift for a pre-purchase inspection. $100-$200, money well spent. Make sure the inspection includes proving that the check engine light is behaving like it should, and that all readiness monitors are in their “complete” state. If someone tells you not to worry about an incomplete monitor, claiming the monitor will turn “complete” with just a little more driving, ask them to prove it.

First buyer gets tax credit. To get someone to buy it
2nd buyer needs same credit to do what?
To keep it from sitting on used car lot, unused?

Recent reviews say the hybrid Rav4 is a better vehicle than the non-hybrid, as far as power and noise go. Toyota hybrids are proven, buying a recent one would be a pretty safe bet.

3 Likes

This is definitely good to know and something I’ve been working to confirm; my understanding is also that it transfers ownership.

All in all though it it’s ~$22K for a used one (with the credit) with ~75K miles or ~$30K for new… maybe should give more thought to new. Annoyingly no state or federal credits for non-plugin vehicles, as far as i know.

If the choices are $22k for a 4-year old model with 75,000 miles, or $30k for new, it’s really a no-brainer–buy the new model. If I am buying a used, out-of-warranty vehicle with 37.5% of its life expectancy depleted, I need a discount of at least that much off of MSRP. The $22k used model is only discounted 26.67%, which means it is overpriced by at least $3250 (and I’d actually want a larger discount from MSRP for giving up the warranty).

1 Like