2020 Toyota RAV4 - How Does it Compare to Other Small SUV's?

Compare RAV4 2020 to other similar size SUVs.

This is almost an impossible request . What do you consider similar and there are so many plus what ever country you are in might have some that other countries do not . This is one of those where you test drive and read web reviews and make your own decision .

1 Like

Go to the various car web sites, read their tests, get the Consumer Reports car buyers guide, read the various comments on the Rav4 and its competitors.

Me, I’m looking at the Rav4 hybrid, it’s faster, smoother, and better mpgs than the regular one. If not the hybrid, I’m looking at the CX-5.

The current issue of Consumer Reports, September 2019 has a brief review of the Rav4 Hybrid, came in third after the Subaru Forester and Mazda CX-5. The May issue has a review of the standard Rav4.

Mostly depends on you’re looking at the Hybrid or not, My dad really was interested in the 2019 Rav4 Hybrid but it didn’t impress him as much as he was expecting on the test drive.

Ended up buying a 2019 Honda CRV Touring to replace a 2007 CRV EX-L. Specific features on the Honda sold him on the extended test drive like the lane keep assist and the auto headlamps/wipers. More comfortable to him than his 2007 which was one of the big reasons to upgrade.

Not as much of a mileage gain compared to buying the Rav4 Hybrid but also without the $5,000 difference to get the trim level he wanted. Currently getting 31mpg in his daily routine compared to 23 or so on the same trip in the 2007. If Toyota comes out with a plug in hybrid version then maybe he’ll switch in a couple years.

April 2019 Motor Trend rated the Honda CRV 1, Mazda CX-5 2, Subaru Forester 3, Toyota RAV 4 4, Hyundai Tucson 5, Nissan Rogue 6, Jeep Cherokee 7, Chevrolet 8. Read the article for much more info and comparisons.

My parents purchased either a 2017 or 2018 Rav4 Hybrid new and they love it. Good gas mileage, they liked the comfort (take a yearly trip from PA to Maine), it can haul the utility trailer a few times a year for yard waste with no problems. No mechanical issues on it whatsoever as of this point

I should hope not at 1 or 2 years old.

2 Likes

Same here, but as we’ve seen in the “wonderful” Ask Someone Who Owns One section that it isn’t always the case

1 Like

Motor Trend??? Really?? Each and every vehicle they consider BEST over the years is bought and paid for by the manufacturer. The company that advertises the most gets the pick of best vehicle. They’ve picked some extremely unreliable vehicles over the past 40+ years. None of the recommendations are worth the cost of the paper it’s printed on.

The Honda CRV and Rav 4 are at the top of my list. The Rav-4 might be the largest of those vehicles. Rav-4 keeps growing. It’s significantly larger then first gen Rav-4’s. Very reliable vehicle.

I know a bunch of people who own the CRV…All of them LOVE this vehicle. Subaru’s are very popular around here also…won’t go wrong with that vehicle either. Nissan Rogue. I think Nissan has cleaned up their CVT tranny issues. If not stay away. Cherokee - still too unreliable for me…Same with the Chevy. I don’t know anyone who owns the CX-5, but based on my son’s Mazda 3 - it could be a very very good vehicle. Mazda is making some great vehicles.