US, Europe, dump old cars on 3rd-world

They want to do research. A lot of the jobs in industry ‘require’ PhDs not because they need those skills but because they figure they’re smarter and harder workers than others.

Your interpretation.

I’m still on my first car.

One of the bike routes I ride passes by auto junk yards, ostensibly sources of spare parts for future DIYers. I’d pay to have them crushed and the lots turned into parks.

I’m not horrified. I’ve been in recipient countries, seen all the stuff we dump on them happily accepted there. Most of the clothes we donate to thrift stores gets bundled into giant multi-ton bundles and shipped to poorer countries which pay a penny or 2 per pound. Some years ago the LA Times had an exposé about how the Mob (Armenian?) had moved in on the trade, taken it over. P. J. O’Rourke, commenting on how we could contribute to the dignity of 3rd-world countries, recommended not-donating our old bell-bottoms to the Salvation Army.

And there are a of research jobs in industry. Universities are not the only place doing research. These people are highly educated…and can get work if they want to. So it’s not their dream job…I’ve taken many jobs that wasn’t my dream job in the past 45+ years to support my family and not be a burden on society.

Junkyards are becoming less and less common. Many are becoming salvage yards. The difference is…when a vehicle comes in…they strip it down to the individual parts and store them and put into their inventory control system. Metal parts that are of no value are sent to be crushed. Other parts are junked or shredded then junked.

Nope, dictionary interpretation. It’s a word. Like ownership is.

2 Likes

When I was in grad school there were about as many real research jobs in industry as in academia. There were about 75 new jobs each in research for physicists in both, over 1K new physics PhDs.

These are junkyards.

Dump has neutral meanings.

From the Merriam-Webster dictionary:

1a to let fall in or as if in a heap or mass dumped his clothes on the bed

b to get rid of unceremoniously or irresponsibly got dumped by his girlfriend

c. JETTISONan airplane dumping gasoline

2slang. to knock down. BEATthe man rushed out and dumped him— John Corry.

1. to sell in quantity at a very low price specifically. to sell abroad at less than the market price at home

By your requirements, @RandomTroll’s use is acceptable. His use is #3 in the dictionary.

Hmmm. No I was always kind and responsible and face to face. I called it a way forward.

@bing, be sure to send your response to the Mirriam-Webster dictionary. It’s their example. I just cut and pasted it.

When I lived there 20 years ago, as cars lost value the taxes skyrocketed, to encourage domestic car buying. Cheaper to always be buying a 3-year-old car. I saw junkyards with 4 and 5 year old cars stacked 6 or 7 high, no rust, no accidents.

That might have something to do with pay levels. (JS BSEE MSEE, PE, RET)

We send a lot of stuff that cant be used here to overseas. Expired medicine, outdated food, baby food and formula that does not meet US specs for nutrition and contaminants, old and inefficient power transformers not made with grain oriented silicon steel. Black cloth. Probably more.

Tee shirts caps and sweatshirts with the wrong Superbowl winners…

Plenty of crap coming in, if you are looking at masks avoid KN95, it only meets China standards, 75% vs 95%. Sure cuba has a lot of old classics, but so do a lot of people in US.

Same as black cloth. I did a project in collaboration with a textile engineer and on the first trial things didn’t go exactly as expected. I was a little upset and the textile engineer said “Don’t sweat it! Nobody ever starts out to make black cloth.” In textilespeak, when the dying process doesn’t come out right, you salvage the cloth by dying it black.

Kinda hard to dye a silkscreened shirt.

Well, you could screen something over it, but I would think those could be sold as collectors items, like the newspaper that was distributed early that had the headline DEWEY WINS PRESIDENCY. But his comment had nothing to do with dying. We made a machine attachment that needed more work and he made that statement as an allegory.

Webster’s 3rd International:

Dump ( v. t. ) To put or throw down with more or less of violence; hence, to unload from a cart by tilting it; as, to dump sand, coal, etc.

which happens to match what I had in mind. I would have thought that Car Talkers would have thought of dump trucks.