We are having a number of threads on prolonging car life. We have different tolerance for breakdowns.
For non-business use, my rules for getting rid of a vehicle are:
- When the car becomes unsafe and cannot economically be made safe, e.g. rusted out.
- When the car cannot meet emission inspections any longer, where applicable
- When the car becomes unsightly and causes your wife and neighbors to complain
- When the upkeep and ownership costs start to rise to where a new car makes better economic sense (accounting approach).
- Car is damaged in an accident and cannot be economically repaired
- When the car becomes unreliable as to starting in cold weather or is no longer suitable for reliable daily use.
In my case, #1 and #4 have been the main reasons for getting newer wheels.
Those of you who have hobby cars would not necessarily agree with above points. I would like to hear of additional reasons from other posters. No one here would advocate driving an un safe car, for instance.