URGENT- new car has 254 km.! Opinions needed please

I think my CX-7 had 4 miles on it when I picked it up, despite traveling half way around the world to get here.
Last year I was talking with a salesman from another dealership and he was trying to tell me that an '08 dealer demo that had over 19,000 miles on it could be titled/insured as “new”, since it was a demo car and had never been titled. Needless to say that was the last time I ever talked to that salesman, or the dealership

As stated previously, many cars are traded from one dealer to another. All dealership have DX people that do nothing but drive vehicles a couple hundred miles from one dealer to another. Its cheaper that having the vehicle transported by vehicle carrier. As long as your dealer agrees to state in writing and registers with Nissan that your warranty starts at 254km, you should be fine. If the dealer balks at this, call Nissan directly. There should be a customer service number or e-mail address in the owners manual.Its unfortunate that you had a bad sales experience, but once you purchase the vehicle, the sales dept is out of the picture.Service and warranty dept take over future issues, so you might get them involved if sales dept are dunderheads in registering your miles at purchase.

A demonstrator is a car used by a salesman to drive around in, this car isn?t a demonstrator, in fact I have test driven every car I?ve ever bought, new or used. A few test drives can rack up a 100+ miles. I?ve also seen new cars with over 200 miles on them when they rolled off the truck, the factory had pulled that car out for quality control testing and they extended the warranty by that many mile, every car I?ve ever pulled off a truck had at least 10 miles on it.

If they had to bring the car in from another dealer they also may have just driven it from on dealership to another racking up a few miles.

Don?t worry about it and enjoy the car.

My opinions are subject to change with new facts.

What you should make sure of is whether this vehicle is a dealer demo or not.

If you are not quite comfortable with this deal contact Nissan’s regional office and ask if this car is a dealer demonstrator; which means their records will reflect this.

A demo makes it technically a “used car” and the warranty period begins on the date the car was put into service as a demo; not when you bought it.

It is my understanding that a vehicle is considered a “demonstrator” when it is registered and plated, meaning it is no longer a new car, but a demonstrator model, and sold as such.

When I worked at a dealer, any car on the lot was fair game for test drives, unless it was ordered sold.

Have the kilometers corrected on the bill of sale and drive on. What is the warranty? Just keep an eye on everything and have it serviced at the dealer you adore.

As long as the paperwork matches and they honor the warranty to cover the extra miles (i.e. if your warranty calls for 100,000 kilometers they will extend it to 100,254 kilometers) you have nothing to worry about.

Look, it’s a Cube, not a Duesenberg. It’s not exactly rare. It’s easy to find more Cubes. Go find one that has lower mileage on it. Joseph is right in that this happens often, but that doesn’t mean you have to accept it. VDC is also correct. This car wasn’t driven on a test drive, but to a show. That means it was driven over 200KM by a lot boy, and it’s not at all unreasonable to think the lot boy might have decided to have a bit of fun with it. “Let’s see if it can do 150. Let’s see how well it corners. Let’s see if I can lock the brakes. Screw it, it ain’t MY car.” I personally wouldn’t take it, because I could pay the same amount of money for one shipped from the factory specifically for me.

Here’s what I’d do if I were you. Pass on this car. Call the dealership’s internet sales manager (and if they don’t have one by 2010, they’re crazy, but talk to the fleet sales maanger). Tell him exactly what you want. The color, the options, etc. He’ll give you a price that’s the same (or possibly better) than the one you agreed upon for the used Cube. Then they’ll have it delivered, and since it’s already spoken for, it won’t be driven farther than necessary to load and unload it from the truck.

A New 2010 Cube For Same Price (Or Possibly Better) As A 2009 Cube ? What A Deal !

I believe this deal is on a “left-over” 09.

CSA

Missed that on my first readthrough.

In that case, decide if it’s worth it to you to take a “new” 1 year old car with 250km on it. If it is, buy it (but see if you can get them to go down in price, since you negotiated the price based on much lower mileage). If not, do what I said and pay for a 2010.

I don’t think you grasp the concept of what a demonstrator is. If it was a demonstrator then it would be used by a salesman as his/her personal vehicle, and it would likely have way more than 254 KM on it. People can test drive any car on the lot they chose to, there are no cars that they are used exclusively for test drives only. You were not lied to. The car has likely either been test driven a few times or it was moved from one dealership to another. If you want a vehicle that has almost no mileage on it, then you’ll have order one from the factory, but even still it’ll have a dozen or so KM on it when you take delieverly.

I think the OP is being unreasonable about this.

they stated the sales agreement showed only 50 kilometers, not the 254 it actually had on it

Driving with the odometer disconnected is not possible these days. Years ago the speedometer/odometer was disconnected when a car was driven from lot to lot and sold indicating the mileage near ZERO. There never seemed to be a problem unless the driver abused the vehicle.

I recall Chrysler being sued some years ago for selling as new a great many vehicles that had been driven for several weeks by top corporate management. At the time it seemed to me that those would be the ideal cars to purchase since even the most trivial issues would have been given state of the art attention from the best technicians at the factory. There wouldn’t be a snow balls chance that a lemon would have come out of that bunch of cars.

There’s no problem with this…I use to live near a small Ford dealership…He had maybe 30 new cars on his lot at a time…He would keep 1-2 of each model to test-drive. If one of the test cars happened to be the color and options you were looking for they would sell it to you at a discount.

You bought a car that the dealer would consider “used” if you tried to trade it in. It’s not that many miles though.

More troubling is that you apparently signed a document without reading it.

Why don’t you move to a country that uses mile instead of kilometers?

Hey Guys, This Ship Sailed Back In June ! Woof, I Do Like Your Suggestion Of Moving To A Country That Uses Miles, Eh.

CSA