Upgrading my Neon to an Srt-4

Re-read what I said…I did NOT say that. I was talking about the many people I know what seem to can’t. Never ever said that the cars couldn’t…just that I don’t see too many that do.

1 Like

You are right I was thinking of the lil red express truck.

I don’t know how the topic went from an engine swap in a Dodge Neon to the reliability of Toyotas compared to domestic brands, so I am going back to engine swaps.
My first car was a 1947 Pontiac Streamliner with a 6 cylinder inline engine that I bought for $75 in 1961. After I owned the car, coolant was getting into the oil. I pulled the cylinder head and found that the engine block was cracked around one of the valve seats. I put the cylinder head back on and poured K & W seal into the radiator. That solved the immediate problem. However the engine used oil at the rate of a quart every 250 miles.
Now in 1947, Pontiac came with either a flathead inline 6 or a flathead inline 8. I thought about replacing the engine since the body of the Pontiac was in great shape with no rust. Most of the Pontiacs sold after WW II had the 8 cylinder engine. I could not find a 6 cylinder engine in the salvage yards I checked. I talked to a long time Pontiac mechanic about replacing the engine with a straight 8. When he told me what all would need to be changed, I decided it wasn’t worth the expense.
Things are even more complicated today and I don’t think it makes sense to try to install a Srt-4 engine in the Neon not originally equipped with that engine.

2 Likes

Indeed it was, and that’s why I thought it would be cool! Couldn’t tell from the outside!

1 Like

Gabriel Iglesias, AKA Fluffy, comedian, is a collector of VW vans. He sponsors a monster ‘truck’ VW van. Now that is an engine swap, and a whole lot more.
As I was typing the above, remembered the advertisements for kits to replace VW engines with Corvair engines.

I also remember putting a V8 in the back seat of a Corvair, and there are kits available.

If you could sneak it past her daddy. :innocent: :roll_eyes: