Buying a new engine

i want to get my car a new engine soonish, and i need help on where and what to buy. im new to cars in general so i would appreciate any and all help figuring this out.

It depends on what kind of car you have, the current engine, and age and condition. It’s best to buy new or re-manufactured crate engine from a dealer, but there are other options such as one from another rebuilder (quality will vary) or used (quality and price will vary. I’ve only bought a crate engine and one used engine in my life and would simply trade cars rather than do that again.

i have a 2001 dodge neon se its mostly in good condition. Do i have to make the call to Dodge to get a new engine shipped in?

You have a car that might be worth $2,000 in good condition. A new engine will cost that + more. If you are new to cars, installing a new engine is way way past your ability to handle. Contact a local independent mechanic for a price, once you see the $$$ and sticker shock you will start looking around for a new to you used car.

5 Likes

im well aware of the money involved im just asking the question

https://www.jasperengines.com/crate-engines

I doubt Chrysler (who’s now owned by Fiat) will have a new engine available for a 2001 Neon, but I could be wrong. You could call the dealership and ask. Beyond that, rebuilt engines should be available with a warranty through Jasper or similar companies, although I’ve heard the quality of some of those rebuilt engines is kind of hit or miss. So I’d lean towards getting a replacement vehicle unless you’re just attached to the Neon…

Perfect! Thank you all for the information.

Assuming your actually a Reverend there must be someone in your congregation who can advise you. A 2001 Neon is not worth the amount of money it would take to put a rebuilt motor in. And a used motor would be old and unreliable .

AutoZone shows reman engines at 2700 to almost 3 grand depending on engine type. It would be easy to add another 2 grand for labor and incidentals.

The choice is certainly yours but I think putting a new engine in a near 20 year Neon is a bad idea.

What happens if you spend this kind of money and the transmission dies a month later? Or the suspension and/or steering needs repairs? Or a list of whatevers? I feel pretty confident that if the car was inspected closely it would be discovered that it already needs a few things anyway.
Best of luck.

3 Likes

These engines fail because of broken timing belts and from running out of oil, why do you feel that you need a new engine?

1 Like

I liked the Dodge Neon when it first came out. Had Chrysler done its marketing research and built a little more quality into the vehicle, it might have been the modern day VW Beetle.
I have a tendency to get attached to things. I bought my first new car in 1978–an Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon with the 4-4-2 trim package. I kept the car 33 years. I thought about restoring the car, but found it had no real value as a classic. Had it had a big engine and a 4 speed manual transmission, it might have been worth something as a muscle car. I sold it to a person who needed transportation. I found I didn’t miss the car a bit.
Back in the 1940s and 1950s remanufactured engines were available even in the Sears catalogue for the more popular makes. Those days are gone.
As an old geezer of 77 years, I have had to adapt to today’s society. I always thought I should be able to keep things in service almost forever. I thought my parents did that, but then realized that they thought the useful life of a car was over after 10 years or 100,000 miles. A child born when your Neon was manufactured would be old enough this fall to go to college.
The transportation value of your 2001 Neon is minimal. Parts may be hard to obtain. There have been improvements made in cars since 2001. I agree with others that you would be better off with a newer car. While I was still working, my department chair had a Dodge Neon. I saw him a while back at the Toyota agency. He had replaced the Neon with a Toyota Corolla.