Unsure on a 350 engine swap

I’m trying to put a 350 out of a 1992 chevy van into a 1978 chevy truck. The van had TBI, the truck carb. The intake from the truck doesn’t seem to want to fit the newer engine. Are the heads differant. What do I need to do?

This may be more involved than you think. The 92 engine will have sensors that the 78 doesn’t have places to put them. There’s also a good chance that the 350 out of a 92 will be looking for an electronically controlled transmission. 350’s are so ubiquitous that you could probably pull an older one of a junkyard that will bolt right in for a minimal investment.

We are just really using the block and heads off the 92. We have already changed everything on the front of the engine, bolted an aftermarket intake on and started the engine, just to find that the intake was warped.

I’ll have to think about this one for a while. From memory, the cylinder heads were completely different starting in the late 80s (1987???) and intakes will not interchange.

I’ve got a domestic V-8 engine book breaking this stuff down. Will take a look at it, see if there is any details on it, and post back later.

Do you have all the TBI stuff out of the van? Because the TBI system is pretty simple as far as fuel injection set-ups go and just making this a TBI truck shouldn’t be too hard at all.

It’s not the end of the world if you have to shop for an intake.