Turn off the newsletter nag popups!

No, I allow cookies. I wish I could block them, but too many sites fail under that setup.

It’s not the cookies. Just disable the Do Not Track signal in Firefox. That fixed it for me. It will pop up after clearing cookies but not again until the cookie expires.

FF screen shot below:

Tracking

Three months now, and no action on this bug.

I’ll add this data point for the software experts doing the de-bugging: I’m using IE version 11 and only see that pop up happen one time when I surf the CarTalk.com. After I close it out (by clicking the ‘x’) it never appears again, until the next time I sign on. So while it is a little annoying, not really a nuisance.

4 months now and no action. I have stoped viewing the cartalk.com site, and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

But no one cares… sigh…

for me (Safari, mac) every page I view, I have to wait 20-30 seconds for the pop up, as all links are inactive until then. then when I dismiss the popup and move to another page, I have to go thru the same thing again, wait for the popup, then dismiss it.

Try clicking the link even though it appears inactive. When I do that the cursor changes from an arrow and the little hand appears and it follows the link, even though the pop up hasn’t yet appeared. For some reason on this computer once I dismiss the pop up, it doesn’t appear again.

yes, sometimes the links are active, sometimes they are not until the popup appears and can be dismissed.

As I posted previously, on Firefox it’s the “Do Not Track” signal under Tracking Protection that causes the popup to happen on every page load. Disable that and the nag popups are much less frequent.

I’ve seen this setting cause problems on other web sites as well. That’s why I’ve disabled it.

The remaining bugs are that the popups continue even after signing up for the newsletter and being signed in. And that the page locks up for a long time right before the popup appears.

1 Like

After 4 months, no one seems to have any interest in fixing this. Too bad, cartalk was once a good web site to visit. No longer.

I also only get it on cartalk.com. As I only check it about once per month for the puzzler and it is easily closed I don’t feel terribly bothered.

I have IE10. with a 1.5 MBPS telephone DSL modem. It was dial-up until a few years ago when the elderly arthritic operator retired and her younger replacement could switch the plugs around fast enough for DSL.

I keep audio muted when on the internet due to pop up loud videos. Advertising has no effect on me. If I want or need to purchase something I will research it, make a decision, and buy it or not.

Same for me with IE10. Not in any way a big deal.

I have no clue or interest in whatever this is.