Turbocharging a 1999 Eclipse RS

Hey, I am in the process of building up my car ( a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS) for more horsepower, and I am very close to buying a Turbocharger, but my question is this: Can I just bolt the turbo on to my current model? is there a manual that I can buy to help me put it on? Or is it just not meant to be?

Sincerely,

~Alex

The turbo manufacturer that you choose will have available all the knowledge you need to know. You definitely need to have better than basic car knowledge. A Haynes manual will be handy in case you need to modify other components or locate parts.

-Matt

Did the folks at Mitsubishi ever turbo an Eclipse? The increased stress might be a bit much for a motor not built to stand it.

You’d better not to do that. It’s like giving a doping to grandpa.

If you know for sure that the pistons, rings and head gasket are the same in the non-turbocharged engine as the other one, you would still need either the right exhaust manifold or the right pipes as well as all the other parts. It’s easier to enjoy the trip rather than the speed although it takes a few years to adjust fully.

Did the folks at Mitsubishi ever turbo an Eclipse? The increased stress might be a bit much for a motor not built to stand it
They did, turbo model is available with Eclipse GT. Probably, he wants to try “high-compression turbo” with the stock enigine, so either retarding the ignition timing a lot or using 115 octane might be in order. Good luck.

Seldom can you slap a turbocharger on a car and run it as-is.
There are a number of things to consider; ignition timing, higher rated lb./hr injectors, possibly a higher output fuel pump, opening up the exhaust, etc, etc.

You need to be somewhat mechanically inclined to do this and to be aware of any potential problems when done. It’s pretty easy to knock out an engine if you’re not careful.

Your best bet is to clarify things with the maker of the turbocharger unit and go from there.