Turbo charged or no turbo charge?

hey i have a 93 honda acoord lx verry interested of putting a twin turbo kit in it but im having second thoughts of buying it i heard it could mess up your car running supposely too mutch PSi’s i need suggestions very antious of putting a turbo in my car and go and try to race with the big people…

It’s best to just pretend. Wal-Mart has a plug and play game called Pole Position, it is sold with Ms. Pac Man and Galaga. Two other non-fun games too are on the same one. I recommend Ray-O-Vac 15 minute rechargeables because the game will eat Duracells up. Pole Position is the reason I scared the heck out of people when I was on the actual road. I got over it without crashing. Twist the knob to steer.

Yeah; but use a super charger. It’s a less expensive way to blow up a motor.

Your speaking of racing at the track right?

Not sure of your interest in longevity of your current engine which is likely well worn at 14 years old, but a turbo kit will nudge it over the cliff.

That sounds like a VERY expensive way to destroy the engine in your Accord.

It would be much cheaper to just drain the oil, start it up and put the throttle to the floor.

You’ll get the same result, but you won’t have to spend thousands of dollars installing two turbo-chargers.

Don’t listen to the naysayers. They don’t get it. A boosted Accord can be fun, but only if you do it right.

Why do you want a twin turbo? Did you hear that mentioned somewhere and think it sounds cool, or do you actually understand what a twin turbo does? For the benefit of the studio audience, let’s go through it.

a properly set up twin turbo arrangement has 2 turbos, one large, one small. The small turbo is there to provide boost while the large turbo is spooling up - it gives you the benefits of having a big turbo without so much annoying turbo lag.

Now the trick is that you’re talking about a big turbo, and if you need a smaller one to reduce the lag, you’re talking about quite a bit of boost. Generally a honda motor can take 9 pounds on stock internals, but it sounds like you want to run quite a bit more than that. That’s fine, but you need to build your engine up too. The whole bottom end. Sleeves, pistons, connecting rods, the works. Then you’ll have a faster car so you need big brakes, new suspension, high performance tires. You’ll need a new engine management computer with a programmable chip so that you can set up your fuel maps properly and you’ll need to run boost, oil pressure, and oil temperature gauges. You’ll need a new intake header, and a new exhaust system from the header to the muffler. You’ll need a new clutch because your stock clutch doesn’t have a prayer of holding up under the power the turbos will give you. And don’t forget the intercooler, which many people don’t realize is necessary when dealing with a decent turbo.

In short, you’re looking at spending quite a lot of money (we’re talking MANY thousands of dollars assuming you do the work yourself, a lot more if you have a shop do it) on this before you even think about going shopping for the actual turbos. Is that something you’re willing and/or able to do?

If not, may I suggest a single turbo or supercharger set up to run 7 to 8 pounds of boost? you’ll still want to upgrade the brakes, but you won’t have to go quite as crazy with the upgrades.

I think it has a little bit to do with how much compression the engine is making currently as to how much boost it could take without blowing up. I’d get the chip if/when you get the TC as you’ll need it to update your ECM to compensate for the added power. The price of a good add-on setup will be about the same(if not more) as if you went out and bought a used car that’s turbo charged from the factory.

Excellent post Shadow. The Shadow knows…

I should point out that we’re talking about a 1993 Accord. The OP doesn’t say anything about the condition of the car, but I’m guessing it’s probably pretty tired already. Heaven knows what even a few pounds of boost will cause. It’ll probably blow past the compression rings and blow the dipstick right through the hood!

It may be more prudent to consider looking for a newer buggy with more oomph to begin with rather than spend all that cash adding a turbocharger to an old Accord.

• mountainbike

eltonka can check the compression in each cylinder to see if there is much blow-by. If so, the engine can be rebuilt. I’d check the heads, too, to see if they need a top end job. As long as the there’s a bit of disassembly required, might as well check.

If it were any other car than a Honda (or Toyota) I’d say you’re definitely right that the engine’s too old for boost. But I know several guys with Hondas that have boosted them at well beyond 100k miles with no problems.

The trick is to do it right. If he does it wrong his engine’ll last a week if he’s lucky :wink: But especially since doing it right at the level of boost he says he wants involves taking the engine apart and replacing a good percentage of it, I really don’t think age will come into play.

BTW I forgot to mention that he’ll also need to upgrade the fuel pump if he wants to run that much boost - no way will the stock pump keep up with a high-boost twin turbo motor.

Twin turbos do not necessarily hav eto one large and one small, Mine has two small to reduce the lag etc.

My opinion has always been to start with a hot car rather then try to rice one up and at the age of this car, well, just money flushing away IMO

You are probably correct in assuming that it costs less to just get a faster car, stock. Some people, however, think that sleepers are a lot of fun. Doing the modifications yourself takes a lot of the cost out too.

Well yeah, and twin turbo on a V engine can see one turbo per bank, but the general concept of a twin turbo is to have a smaller turbo there to reduce the lag you’d otherwise get if you only had the bigger one.

Doing something like this can be a fun project. But it’s NOT something I do with an Accord. I LOVE Accords. One of the best/more durable vehicles ever made. But IMHO it’s NOT the kind of car I think of that I want to put this much money into. A nice 1969 Firebird…Now that kind of car is WORTH it.

thats retarted, whoever puts it in for you should know what tensity to put your wastegate spring at, make sure you remind and ask them how much boost you should run, as long as you keep your boost ok, then your fine, and dont be one of those idiots that dont put a blow off valve in it.
have fun

several thousands of dollars? i strongly disagree, my brother put one in his 04 mustang for 1700, of course he put it in himself, but still

there’s a bit of a difference between a Mustang and an Accord. 2~4 more cylinders, compression ration, etc.

My 2 cents is if you are going to use the car for everyday use in the streets of a city and stop and go traffic, leave it as is. If not go ahead and do it. You will porbably find yourself living under the hood with a converted car that is used everyday to and from work. It’s fun, but a lot of work.

You want to move out? Forget trying to take all of that metal along; get a bike. Even a 500cc will leave most cars behind. Don’t do this if you you can’t control power.

A twin turbo kit for the 4 clyinder engine? Why are you stopping there? You better put as many turbos as possible in it (a quadruple sounds good, doesn’t it?) if you really want to race with the big people.

Let me know how it goes, incorporating a constant-pressure-exhaust manifold and/or AVNT might help you doing it, Good luck.