Tune up-06 Tundra

Im looking at doing a tune up on an 06 Tundra. Ive always done my own tune ups but never on anything this new.
Is there anything i need to know or is it basically the same.

New plugs and an new air filter. That’s a tune up for your Tundra.

Wha? it has over 150000 on it

Plug wires?

I grew up with a guy that mechanic’d hid whole life. He told me if you change the plugs ALWAYS change the wires

You have coil on plugs, no plug wires.

Also no distributor cap, no rotor, so new plugs is about all there is to tune the ignition system. Idle and timing are controlled by the computer.

wow. ok im a little behind times i guess…

Thanks

This one is extremely simple as well, with easy access to everything. Probably take less than 20 minutes. Have fun.

That vehicle should certainly be Coil over plug…Yeah LOL…Tune ups on the latest vehicles have become a short list.

Fuel filter, Air Filter, Spark Plugs, Oil change, Oil filter, PCV Valve, Cabin vent Filter…and THAT is the LONG listing…lol

BE CAREFUL getting the plugs out…Loosen in increments IF you feel resistance upon removal…Try to loosen…if they just spin out easily…then by all means continue…IF it feels gritty loosen a tiny bit…basically “break it loose”…spray with BP Blaster or similar…Then try again…take it 1/4 turn at a time…or even1/8th…and work them back and forth…out an 8th back in…back out…until they become loose feeling…DO NOT STRIP YOUR ALUMINUM HEADS OUT with your STEEL plugs…PLEASE…

When you install the new plugs…and dont cheap out on the plugs…also don’t go overboard with $14 a piece units either…pick the happy middle somewhere…treat EACH of them with Anti-Seize before install… That’s about it…Just wanted you to be careful with those plugs…bet they have 150K on them… Sometimes they are very stubborn…and when they are…it is NOT time to show brute force…it will burn you if you do…so take it easy.

Blackbird

Thanks Guys

I’d put some anti-seize on the threads of the new spark plugs and diaelectric grease on the plug boots before reinstalling the coils.

Check the spark plug gap before installing new plugs. Do not assume they come pre-gapped as that is often not the case. If they must be regapped then do it very, very carefully.

Ive gapped plugs before. Has something changed in the plug world that i need to be “very careful”?

Diaelectric grease? Parts store has this?

Yep, they sell a little packet that is enough for 8 plugs. I have an '01 Sequoia with very similar engine. These plugs are easy to access and change. I use the same plugs as they put in originally, Denso or NKG. If you have the manual it gives the correct plugs spec.

New plugs often use such hard materials that you can damage the plug when you try to gap them. Iridium and platiinum are very hard and brittle metals. The plugs should come with the proper gap, if you fiddle with gap be careful.

Has something changed? Depends on what your reference point is… From the days of the Iron Head Chevy 350…YES things HAVE changed for you while doing the plugs… Most vehicles now have Aluminum cylinder heads…and long life plugs…SO…getting a steel plug that’s been in an Aluminum Head…for say 10 years can be a DICEY situation… Be careful…like I said if you notice that they don’t come out easily…work em back and forth…some lube helps too… You cannot or should not just crank them out of there IF you encounter resistance… SO YES…times have a change-ed

Blackbird

I have a 05 4runner…if you have the V6 we have the same engine.

It’s pretty simple job to do.

You have to disconnect the coil-packs first. Then there’s a small bolt to remove that holds down each of the coil packs. Then remove the coil pack and you now have access to the plug. The plug is recessed about 6"…so you’ll need an extension. When you connect the coil-pack back up…make sure you hear the click. On my 05 4runner I had to remove a small bracket near the drivers side rear plug so I could access the plug. No big deal. The passenger side you’ll have to remove the air-filter and it’s cover.

Denso and NGK are the OEM plugs for Toyota. In fact when I replaced the factory plugs…the driver side were NGK and the passenger side were Denso. Doesn’t matter which of the two plugs you use…I’ve found NGK to be an excellent plug and most parts stores seem to carry NGK over Denso.

What’s changed in regards to gapping plugs is that much, much more care has to be used for 2 reasons:
1: Platinum and Iridium plugs are much more expensive than copper core plugs.
2: Platinum and Iridium plugs have an extremely tiny center electrode. If too much pressure is applied to that electrode it would be very easy to damage it or the porcelain around it. Even with regular copper core plugs care must be used although they’re not as delicate as other plug types.

If the gap is too narrow it would be best to widen it with a pair of pliers and then carefully narrow it back down by tapping the side electrode or preferably, with the use of a specialty pair of gapping pliers.
If the gap is too wide then skip the above about widening it with pliers and do the latter of course.

The reason I mention checking the gap due to the assumption that all plugs are pre-gapped is because the assumption would have to mean that the same gap would have to exist for many different makes of cars and engine types that use the same spark plug. That would not be true.

Thanks Again! You guys are full of info. I hope they pay you well…

“I hope they pay you well…”

That is sort of why I got out of the auto repair industry. They don’t.