What products to use?

350 TBI
This coming spring it will need a tune up, any suggestions for what quality inexpensive plugs to buy and anything else to get it tuned back to running like raped ape

This is known as an oxymoron.
I wouldn’t skimp on plugs. The manufacturer recommended ones would be my first choice, and I’ll bet they are within a couple dollars of the cheapest ones.
Start with the basics, oil and filter change, trans. fluid and filter change, coolant change (no tap water-distilled only if mixing your own 50/50). Then you can see how it’s running, and decide from there what else it might need. Don’t forget to look the braking system over as well.

4 Likes

Thank you. I wish my dad would’ve kept care of it while it sat :pensive:

Oh, he probably had every intention of doing so. But then a month passes, then two, then a few years…
I don’t know how much gas is in it, but if that’s been in there a good while, you might think about draining it and starting with fresh.
Lots of work ahead, but not that expensive, and with the help of a buddy or two, you can learn a lot and have something to show for it. I wish you the best of luck.

I used AC Delco plugs, Distributor Cap/Rotor, and spark plug wires when I tuned up the 305 TBI in my 93 Caprice.

Ed B.

1 Like

devallision2
chevrolet 1500, 350 TBI
quality inexpensive plugs

Look in the Owner’s Manual and see if specified spark plugs are listed. No Manual? No Listing? Look under the hood for a sticker that specifies the spark plugs.

It should call for AC plugs. I have found them to be good quality, inexpensive, and the correct plugs to use on all my GM cars.

Still can’t find an answer to which AC plugs you need? A good auto parts store should be able to look it up for you.
CSA

1 Like

Just the standard AC Delco plugs will work fine. Keep in mind the TBI 350 wasn’t exactly a screamer. If you’re after speed and you want a 90’s C/K pickup. An LS swap will be your best bet. Of course that’s quite a bit more expensive than a set of spark plugs.

…and the expensive, “multiple electrode” plugs probably won’t work well as well.
We have had numerous posts over the years from people who bought Bosch and other brands of multiple electrode plugs and who experienced nothing but problems.

Use exactly what the vehicle manufacturer used when it built that engine, and in this case, that would be AC plugs & wires.

2 Likes

Yep. I remember my senior year in high school. I had just gotten a 1992 Ford Thunderbird SC, my previous ride was a 1974 Ford F-100. But my dear grandmother didn’t approve the F-100 has it lacked things like power steering, power brakes, and 3 point seat belts. So she convinced my grandfather to get me a much safer car. Anyway; I thought I would try out the Bosch Platinum spark plugs that were all the rage at the time. The car ran worse on those than it did on the old worn plugs. So we replaced them with the stock OEM motorcrafts and the difference was night and day.

4 Likes

When looking for plugs for my car parts guy says oem, seen too many problems otherwise. Sure a splitfire unobtanium whatever might sound good, but OEM would be my recommendation.

Sentence correction ( anything else to return the truck to as original running condition ? )

1 Like

What does this mean?? How fast does a “raped ape” run? Who is doing the raping?

1 Like

I never owned a Chevy, but for my Fords I always use MotorCraft plugs, for my VW, Bosch, and for my Corolla NGK. Never had a problem with any of those plugs. And I can’t remember hearing of a poster complaint here about MotorCraft or NGK plugs, but there have been a few about Bosch; but only the Bosch versions that have multiple electrodes. The single electrode Bosch plugs I used in my VW always worked fine. I’ve occasionally used Champion and Autolite plugs in my Ford truck, but the MotorCraft version seems to hold up a little longer.

I also believe in using original equipment plugs, with exceptions. In my younger days with a Desoto Hemi, I had a heavy foot, used 102 octane gas and had the timing advanced 6 degrees more than factory spec. I was burning plugs, so one heat range cooler was just right.

Sometimes the automaker changes either the plug recommendation or the gap, after the car is a few years old based on their service experience.

3 Likes