Trying to settle on a new to me pickup truck

Unfortunately, I’m in the process of looking to replace my aging TB and looking at full size pickups. I would like a crew cab w/short bed 4x4 and don’t need anything bigger than 1/2 ton even though a Vplow would be a dream but that takes at least 3/4 ton and therefore big hit in mileage. I will continue to live with a fixed blade for home use :frowning:

I see tons of newer Chevy/GM 1500s out there and may have figured out why. Apparently, the 5.3L is junk and the 6.2L not far behind. From what I am seeing, the 3.0L Duramax turbo diesel looks like a good engine option. I am leaning in this direction although it sticks in my craw to buy anything GM after how they treated their employees during the bankruptcy. Buying used would help alleviate some of that remorse.

Unfortunately, the Ford and RAM trucks seem to have an abundance of engine/transmission issues as well.

I wish, in general, they would stop trying to eek out minimal gains in fuel efficiency using active cylinder management schemes that always seem to impact reliability longer term. I’m buying a truck, I don’t expect car type gas mileage…

Looking to tap into the vast experience and wisdom here on which combinations you have heard were more solid reliability-wise or conversely, what to stay away from…

Some family members of mine have a Toyota Tundra that’s been excellent. I don’t think it’s given them any trouble at all. Seems like it’s 5-7 years old.

I used to be a GM truck guy, but if I were in the market for a pickup, I’d definitely look at some Tundras.

1 Like

The 5.3 WAS a great engine lasting 300-400K miles unTIL the dreaded active AFM!

Now the new ones are using turbo 4s… not sure how that is working out for GM.

I’d look at a used Tundra as well.

I had a buddy that bought a Ford F150 exactly as you want. He b1tched about how high it was and how hard to load so he traded for a Ranger of the same configuration. It can carry 1800 lbs, tow 7500 lbs and gets 270 hp from its turbo 4 cylinder. And it is about the same size as full size trucks were in the 1990s. … BTW… I’d trust a turbo 4 (I’ve owned 3) before an AFM V8.

Car Complaints shows very few problems for 2020, 21, or 22 Rangers.

Have you thought about putting a tune to deactivate the dreaded active AFM?? Then you could have what you want with out the junk involved…

But for newer modern vehicles, it is hard to go wrong with a Toyota…

I agree with the sentiment, but that’s out of the hands of the carmakers. They have to meet ever more stringent CAFE requirements.

I’m a lifelong GM fan, but if I were looking for a new-ish pickup truck I’d be looking at a Tacoma or Tundra. Unless you want a diesel, in which case I would still go with GM.

My son in law’s father has a crew cab Tundra and is happy with it.

If you’re in a colder climate where you have a mix of snow, ice and dry pavement throughout the winter, having a truck with automatic 4WD (automatically switches from 2WD to 4WD based on traction) is very desirable. Toyotas don’t have it. I live in northern MN and we have snow on the ground for ~5 months. I have owned a '15 Tundra, '16 Tacoma TRD OR, '17 Silverado 1500, '19 Tacoma TRD Pro and now a '22 Colorado ZR2 and until Toyota puts an automatic transfer case in their trucks, I won’t go back. F150s have it on higher end trims but I think it’s pretty much standard on all Silverado/Sierra 1500s and has been for some time. Being able to put the truck in ‘Auto’ and not worry about hitting an icy patch in 2WD or trying to get out of a snow-covered parking lot to merge into traffic on dry pavement is well worth any concerns about reliability IMO.

I and all the other guys have been telling you this for quite awhile now, afaik

Every single Yukon 5.3 with AFM in our fleet has had massive engine problems after about the 100K mark

Every single one

Not one single exception

Not only that, but the rear ends are GARBAGE on those trucks

I can’t tell you how many basically exploded

If you want domestic reliability, get an older GMC Sierra 2500HD with the 6.0 gasoline V-8 and the 4L80E

Even better, get a truck with an 8.1-liter GM big block and an Allison 1000 automatic transmission

You can’t really kill those big blocks and we have several trucks in our fleet with high mileage Allisons that haven’t yet been rebuilt

Avoid any 3-valve Ford Triton engines, both the 5.4 and the 6.8 . . . they have cam phaser problems and the plugs also blow out

Avoid any older 2-valve Ford Triton engines . . . the plugs are known to blow out

3 Likes

Wow. It is just amazing how GM can mess up the heart of their lineup, what they should be able to do best. Our '95 Suburban was great for 13 years (we did avoid towing, based on stories we’d heard), but to have engines fail at 100k is nuts.

Neither GM nor Ford came off very good in that assessment. Few or no new USA-made trucks are even worth considering? Blimey! I wonder what’s going on?

Don’t know if it’s true or not but sounds like ford might be bringing back the ranger. Updated body with a $10,000 price point.

I did recommend a few domestic trucks . . . but they’re probably too heavy-duty for op’s liking

I was looking at new pickups around 2020. Did not see anything that had good seats for the wifes bad back. Ended up with a 2017 used Acadia Limited with Tow package as boat towing was on the list. It became her car, heated seats and steering wheel etc. I really did not need a pickup, 3 row seating, it has turned into a grand vehicle for us. About the same gas milage as my trailblazer that got rear ended, 16/22

Thanks everyone for your contributions, it is very much appreciated!

I initially dismissed the Tundra simply because I didn’t like the styling of the front end. I may end up compromising there. I realize the frame fiasco for them was a long time ago but that was still in my mind. After reflecting on actually how long ago that was, I have gotten over that as well :grinning:

Rainflurry brought up a great point. I love the on demand 4x4 feature that has been on all of my TBs. It’s an amazing feature that I would really miss.

Well, this is the first I have asked about or commented on the 5.3L so not sure where that’s coming from. But I do appreciate your perspective and experience. There are so many people experiencing issues it is hard to ignore the significant risk. The fact the rear ends are not faring well is another concern.

At my age now and where I live, Choosing an older truck is not in the cards. Rust is a major concern.

It’s far worse than that if you follow some of the chat boards. People having engines replaced with less than 10k miles…

Just run into a tree or something, the look will change!!! :rofl:

Worst case (or worse? NVM don’t really care and won’t remember anyway), you can always install a custom grill or something to change the front end look a little… just a thought… :wink:

It sounds like what you really want is a Ford Explorer Sport Trac from the early 2000s. Even with the cost to replace or rebuild the motor due to the timing chain issue, you still come out way ahead…and no cylinder deactivation nonsense, no direct injection, etc.

The Explorer Sport Trac doesn’t have a long and useful bed, imo

Then op would be better off buying a Ford Ranger from the early 2000s

Had an 03 ford ranger, not a full size truck imhop.

Have him check his spark plugs, in 2020 Ford did away with the seal between the hood and windshield cowling and did away with the engine cover.

Water can now get to the top of the engine and fill the spark plug wells.
TSB 23-2011

1 Like

What a lot of Ranger owners are doing is using a piece a pipe insulation on the lip right at the firewall.