Tree sap on car

Hi, I have a Nissan Altima 2000. There is a maple tree near my parking spot. A bunch of helicopter leaves landed on my car from the tree. They had sap on them, which is nearly impossible to remove from my car - it’s almost like it’s shellacked into the paint. I have tried soap and water and then bug and tar remover. Neither worked at all. Can anyone recommend something strong that will take the sap off (without ruining the paint)?

Mineral spirits, WD-40, rubbing alcohol, and gasoline. Try each in that order, moving to the next only if the first doesn’t work. Do it on a very hot day with the car outside in the sun and the sheet metal nice and hot. Apply the chemical, then scrub lightly with a microfiber cloth. Don’t scrub hard - let the chemical do the work for you.

Wash VERY well after you’re done scrubbing - this stuff will damage your paint if you leave it on for very long. Give the car a coat of good carnauba paste wax afterward.

If that doesn’t work, try using a clay bar on it. You can find them at just about any auto parts store. Follow the directions carefully.

If that doesn’t work, you’re gonna have to bite the bullet and take it to a shop to have it polished. That’s going to cost anywhere from 100 to 400 bucks, but it’ll get your car looking right again.

I feel your pain. I had to do that this summer too.

100% mineral spirits

After removing the tree sap, wash the car thoroughly and wax it.

Thanks, Shadowfax! I will try what you suggested and let you know how it goes.

I’ve had excellent results with GooGone. It is not the same as bug & tar remover, so don’t be confused.

I hate to disagree with you, Shadowfax, but I would not recommend gasoline. Mineral spirits, WD40, Simple Green or a good bug and tar remover followed by a through wash, rise and polish. Go gentlely and don’t rub too hard. Check Autotopia.com to see if they have any produces recommended for sap removal.

Try ammonia. It works very well for me on pine sap.

IPA, Isopropyl Alcohol works