Transmission question

I have a 2007 Ford Explorer Limited edition and since about 15,000 miles have experienced a “kicking” in the drive train when stopping by slowing the car with engine drag and then braking when traveling at about 15 to 20 mph. If I apply the brake by stepping the brake pedal all the way down I do not experience the “kicking”. Is this an operational issue with the transmission or do I have larger problems that need dealership attention?

Do you have a tachometer? The reason I ask, is it a possibility that the transmission is downshifting when you feel the kicking? An associated higher reading on the tach would indicate that is happening. If you are under warranty it is always a dealer issue. Do you get any noticeable klunk if you shift from drive to reverse having your foot on the brake pedal the whole time?

I think this is a very annoying habit with Ford transmissions. I’ve noticed it in a friends 2002 Explorer and the company truck, a 2005 F-150. It seems to me the transmission is programmed to drop into neutral when braking fairly hard, and then needs to kick back into gear when the accelerator is pressed. If the truck is still rolling when I hit the gas, I feel the ‘kick’ almost every time. And, I agree, it is really annoying. But, I don’t know if there is a fix.