Transmission

I have a 2002 Dodge Intrepid SE with a 2.7 v6 Auto. Sometimes the transmission kicks down when you slow down to 20-25 mph. I have to stop, turn off ignition, and restart the car and proceed to drive until it kicks down again, then I have to repeat the same. I drove all winter and the car did not kick down unless it was driven a long distance. My avg. mi per day are 66 mi to work and back. When the weather warms up the transmission kicks down more often. It seems to always kick down when I’m slowing down or to stop, at 20-25 mph.When the weather is cold, it didn’t kick down at all while I was driving back and forth to work. Can you tell me what could be wrong with it?

Probably some will know what “kick down” means, but I don’t.

You need to have the computer scanned for codes. Post back with the code/s and we can go from there.

transman

What I mean by “kick down” is , when the car slows down to 20-25 mph the transmission feels like it “drops down in a lower gear” and sticks there until you stop, turn the engine off, and restart it.

I’m told Auto Zone or O’Riley’s will scan for code/codes at no charge. Are these places reliable?

Gloria

Sure, they use code readers. You might end up having to have a trans shop put a scanner on it depending on whether the computer has set manufacturer specific codes or not. Anyways, take it for a free reading and post back with the code/s. Your computer is going into limp mode, this is why you feel the downshift at 25 mph.

transman

Thanks for the info on “limp mode”! I’ve talked to several trans mechanics and you are the only one that had an explanation on the downshift…everyone else was baffled. I’ll post back with the code/codes ASAP.

Gloria