Transmission maybe

I have a 2008 manual transmission toyota tacoma about 50k miles. I am in vegas for the summer and since being here in the last couple weeks when I just start driving and go from 2nd to 3rd gear there is a grinding sound. Also a little bit when in 3rd gear. After the first couple minutes of driving it doesnt do that at all. Anyone have any advice on what it may be or what I can do to alleviate the problem without a shop selling me a new transmission. :slight_smile:

Check the oil level in the transmission. If its low, add some.

Guesses: Clutch Master Or Slave Cylinder Leaking Internally Or Externally Or Low Fluid ?

CSA

I Don’t Know Toyota Warranty Coverage From A Bale Of Hay. Are You Covered By A Powertrain Warranty Similar To Our GMs’ 60 Month / 100,000 Mile Warranty ? You Could Take It In And Have It Checked Out For Free.

CSA

Six-Speed Manual ?

Some 2005 - 2011 Tacomas (and some FJ Cruisers) with the 6MT transmission and squeaking or rattling noises when the clutch pedal is released, have had to have clutch release (throw-out) bearings, clutch release bearing fork supports, and clutch release cylinders replaced (revised parts) under warranty (60 month / 60,000 miles).

I don’t see anything about “grinding,” but I’d check this out with a dealer. Have them pull up a copy of Toyota Technical Service Bulletin (9 pages) # T-SB-0365-10 and see if applies to your truck.

You can find a link to the TSB here.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/attachments/transmissions-transfer-cases-traction-aids/39379d1293636162-throwout-bearing-trouble-6-speeds-fj-clutch-bearing.pdf

CSA

Some V-6 Equipped 2005 - 2010 Tacomas (and some FJ Cruisers) With The 6-Speed Manual Transmission Have Had A Clutch “Slipping Feeling” In All Forward Gears And Reverse.

The center section of the clutch disk may have separated from the friction material of the clutch disk. The fix is a new disk and and clutch cover (pressure plate) under that 60 month / 60,000 mile warranty. The new parts may have been revised as the part numbers have changed.

Again, I don’t see anything about “grinding,” but I’d check this out with a dealer. Have them pull up a copy of Toyota Technical Service Bulletin (6 pages) # T-SB-0385-09 and see if applies to your truck.

You can find a link to the TSB here.

CSA