Hard shifting manual tranny (no grinding)

Hello,

I have a 2002 Toyota Tacoma with a manual transmission, 107k miles. My problem:

It is impossible to shift into 1st gear unless completely stopped. And shifting from 1st to 2nd to 3rd is very awkward. Shifting in those gears is clunky and noisy. The noise can be described as a thud/clunk/bang that is sometimes accompanied by a metallic ping (sounds like a shaft). But it never grinds gears, ever. It makes me cringe everytime I shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd. It shifts normally between 3rd, 4th, and 5th, no problem. Shifting into reverse can be difficult sometimes.

There are no abnormal noises, sounds, or other issues when cruising down the highway. The truck drives great when not shifting in the low gears.

Might be related: makes a loud clunking/banging/metallic pinging when the rear axle rides over bumps with the clutch depressed and/or tranny in neutral. It’s embarrassing and sounds like the guts are going to fall out on the ground! But it does not make this sound when under power going over bumps. The metallic ping is the same tone as when shifting (the tone sounds like a shaft banging around).

A mechanic looked it over and verified there is nothing noticeably wrong underneath (no loose parts, u-joints are in good shape, etc.). I recently replaced the tranny fluid and rear diff oil with high quality, full synthetic, but it didn’t make any difference.

This is driving me crazy! Any ideas? My research makes me think it could be a pilot bearing or hydraulic issue.

Thank you in advance for any advice,

Jason

Slave cyl on clutch, maybe.
When you push pedal down clutch lever does not move as much as it should when slave cyl goes bad.
Maybe you can try to bleed it before getting new one.