Transmission Flex plate repair

I have a noisy transmission in a 97 Subaru Outback, automatic. The transmission place my son took it too said it would cost $800 for parts and labor. Does that sound reasonable? I’m a novice when it comes to transmissions…thanks

Please define “Noisy Transmission.” Be as specific as possible.

It’s a very noticable clicking noise when at a stop, and then once he gets going, you cant really hear or feel it. At first thought it would stop when he turned off the air conditioning, but that turned out not to be the case. Thanks

The $800 just about covers the labor.

Thanks. Much appreciated. I’m going to get two more quotes tomorrow.

I paid $650 for a mitsu flex plate, parts and labor in 2006. This is in a relatively expensive region of the country.

I could see a flex plate making noise if it was cracked or I could see a starter making noise when it trys to engage the damaged teeth on a flex plate so I wonder here what is causing the flex plate to be noisy,all they do is spin around.

How would the shop know the flex plate was cracked before they pull the transmission? Is flex plate failure common on Subaru’s? (add to list)

Perhaps the bolts came loose and the holes are elognated.

Thanks. You raise a good question. I had read something about the bolts coming loose also, and maybe that’s all it is. I’m having AMMCO look at it today also. At least I’ll have a little ammo before I walk through the door. From what I’ve read and seen, it seems like most of the cost either way, tends to be the labor, because it doesn’t look easy to even get to it.