Cost to replace transmission

I just bought a used 2001 Subaru outback in October. The car looked great and sounded good too. Now three months later the standard transmission is a wreck, makes a horrible clattering sound, and needs to be replaced. I am mad and upset. Cars basically always make me cry. Anyway, I had a quote of $1700 to replace the transmission. Is that about the going rate?

Provide more details. What kind of shop is this? A local one with a good reputation? Or a national chain? Is the proposal to rebuild? Get used from a salvage yard? Buy a rebuilt?

$1700 actually sounds on the low side which makes me suspicious.

If it’s any consolation I don’t know of anything that would make a bad transmission sound good for 3 months.

It is a local shop, not the guy I bought the car from who seems a bit of a wheeler dealer to me. The local guy has been my mechanic for years and I trust him, but I think his prices are high in general and this one blew my socks off. I think it will be a rebuilt transmission, I will have to check, but that is my understanding. Thanks for your reply

“Cars basically always make me cry”

If that is the case, then I have some suggestions that will help you in the future:

Don’t buy a used car without being able to see its maintenance records, so that you can verify whether it has been maintained in accordance with the mfr’s maintenance schedule. This will limit your choice of cars, but it will screen out cars that are potentially expensive time bombs for the new owner.
Always have your mechanic inspect the car prior to purchase in order to verify its condition.
After purchase, be sure to maintain it strictly according to the mfr’s maintenance schedule.

People who do these things are rarely brought to tears by their cars.