Transmission cable "loose"?

I was having trouble getting my '05 Jaguar S-type into gear. After removing the gearbox and disconnecting the linkage, I find that it switches out just fine when pushing and pulling the link end with my hand but the cable seems a bit spongy and has too much “travel” before catching the next gear. Again, it goes into every gear perfectly but I have to push (and, of course, pull) the linkage connector a little too far distance-wise between “P” and “D”. So, when I connect the gearbox and adjust it perfectly for “P”, the shifter won’t move it far enough to reach “D” and vice versa.

Anybody ever heard of this?

…Kinda like I was pulling a spring instead of a cable.

@TEEJAY2 I think you nailed it. Replace the cable and you may have solved your problem. These can stretch and fray over time

You removed the transmission to figure out you have a stretched, broken, or misadjusted shift cable?

I would replace the shift cable, reinstall the transmission, and see what happens then.

You removed the transmission to figure out you have a stretched, broken, or misadjusted shift cable?

I would replace the shift cable, reinstall the transmission, and see what happens then.

Asemaster, I never removed the transmission. Only the gearbox inside the car between the seats where the shifter is housed.

“Gearbox” is another name for transmission, so that’s where the confusion came from.

Resolved! I jumped under there and noticed that the screw holding the cable mount in place had backed out and was wiggeling like a loose tooth. 5 minutes and a pair of pliars fixed the whole problem! However, while under there, I notices a little fluid around the plastic tranny drain plug. So, I snugged it up and wiped it clean. I’ll check it in a few days and if there’s any leakage, I see a fluid and filter change is in my future. Thanks again.

PS Sorry about the gearbox mix up. I thought about that myself shortly after posting.

I love a happy ending! Thanks for closing the loop.