Is it the linkage or actual clutch?

Hello all! I drive a 95 Mitsubishi Mirage LS with a manual transmission. The other night on my drive home from work my car decided that she would no longer shift into ANY gear. Just a month or so ago I have replaced both master and slave cylinders due to leaks in both. However, the linkage in my gear shift has been quite loose for some time. My question is this: is the transmission linkage causing the problem of not wanting to shift or could it be the actual clutch…or maybe just the spider wire? I have been my rounds on several cars however I know absolutely nothing when it comes the clutch! Please give me some advice on how to diagnose as well as repair the problem!
Side notes:
The clutch is tight when depressed all the way to the floor and reservoir is full of fluid. The only issue is that it will not shift into ANY gear…as in, when I push in the clutch and go to shift it is like literally hitting the gear shift into a brick wall. No wiggle room what so ever.

When you release the clutch does the car move? It may be stuck in gear with the lever locked in the neutral position.

It will move in neutral. But haven’t had it on an incline of any kind…I can push the car while in neutral…but it will not shift out of neutral.

With the engine off and the clutch in, can you shift into any gear? If you can’t, then it’s probably the linkage.

Nope. Wont do sh*t (pardon my French)…was thinking it was the linkage but was hoping for second opinions :slight_smile: thanks!

It’s possible there is air still remaining in the hydraulics, or that the new parts you recently replaced are defective. If the hydraulics are not working correctly, this is the symptom.

You’ve already verified hydraulics are not the problem? Then you (or your shop) will have to do a visual inspection of the cables and linkage from the gear shift lever to the transmission. You may have a broken cable or something that has gone off track, something simple like that. On my Corolla at least it isn’t that hard to remove the center console and get a look-see at the cable/connections on that end.( It’s still possible even on my 20+ year old Corolla to buy gear shifter replacement cable sets.) It’s probably even easier to see the cables and connections on the transmission side. If you decide to do this yourself, you may need the service manual procedure.

It’s also possible this is a transmission failure. A total transmission failure without prior symptoms is very uncommon with manual transmissions. Usually one or two gears will stop working first. A complete transmission failure might be caused if the car was driven with low transmission gear oil though. It would make sense at this point to inspect the transmission fluid level I think.