Trade and Buy **Faulty 2014 Focus** Help!

You know it! Long live Pontiac… oh wait…
I have 2 and it’s getting harder to find well-kept lower mileage ones. That GM 3800 engine is the best. I hope they start building them again, soon! :scream_cat:
CSA

1 Like

I had asked earlier but I’m still curious about the lurch. The question was whether or not this lurch was felt taking off or while rolling at speed.

If the latter it may have nothing to do with the trans or clutch. It could a random misfire, etc.

It mostly happens when hitting gas after an intersection stop.

I replied somewhere earlier

They are offering me about 8,400 for my trade BUT feels like they are trying to make up for it in the rest of the charges ending at total price. A disappointment because I was attracted to the room in the Fusion when I stopped in. Didn’t buy or trade yesterday

Is there any chance you have a relative or friend who can help you through this trading process? As for the extra charges you just say no to things like : paint protection, fabric guard, extended warranty and other things you don’t want. Also those extra charges could include a balance on your present loan if the trade in amount is less then you owe but that is none of business.

Fortunately, I brought my knowledgeable relative…by extra I mean they kept ignoring my questions as to final cost. He tried to offer “higher tech” model but I don’t care about that and wouldn’t show me price of a basic model that they would offer. I also asked HOW they fixed the transmission in newer models and the guy barely had anything to say.

Thank you for the tips…good to know about declining extras. The trade in is for more than I owe fortunately

In that case, I advise you to find somebody else to do business with, since this one is intent on playing games

If I wanted to look at a base model car, and they refused, only showing me high end models, I’d walk out of there . . . or at the very least, find another salesman to deal with

I wouldn’t expect the salesmen to know much about the technical aspect. Their job is to sell cars, not inform themselves as to the mechanical problems of a particular model

If you want to know more about reliability, consumer reports or carcomplaints.com makes for interesting reading. You can also pay about $20 to log onto a manufacturer’s website and you’ll have access to the same information that the dealer has. You’ll find out about all the technical service bulletins, recalls, campaigns, etc. You’ll get about 2-3 days access, and you can print out whatever you want. I actually did that a few times, and it was well worth it. By doing so, I was able to eliminate certain model years, engines, etc. from consideration, and pick one that I felt posed the smallest risk.

1 Like

Try this : Look at the dealer web site and see if there is a vehicle you would be interested in. Most of them have the listed price and what they are asking for it. You can see the actual sticker on some sites. You have an offer on your vehicle so write the stock number down and say that is the one you want to see and test drive.

What I’m getting at is whether this lurching occurs as you take off from a stop while in the process of releasing the clutch or does it occur right after you have released the clutch and your foot is not depressing the pedal?

If the latter, that may be an engine performance issue.

The OP’s car is equipped with Ford’s problem-plagued Dual Clutch (automated) manual trans. There is no clutch pedal, but there have been a whole heap of complaints about those transmissions–at least for the first couple of years after they were introduced.

1 Like

Hey All! 4th clutch repair done yesterday! Funny how another repair place told me it was’t anything. This one said it was totally an issue.

Especially since unless something has changed very recently, they still haven’t fixed the problem and are sending brand new cars off the lot with the same problem OP’s car has.

Yup Lemon Law

Fusion has better reliabilsaysConsumer Reports

If this vehicle is driving as it should now trade as soon as you can. Life is too short to let something like this drive you nuts.

1 Like

A Lemon Law claim…on a 3 year old vehicle?
:confused:

I don’t think so, unless the Lemon Law in the OP’s state is different from most of those statutes.

Yeah, but the problem is with the transmission…and isn’t the usual warranty coverage on the powertrain (engine and transmission) from the manufacturer 5 years or 60,000 miles? So wouldn’t he have two more years?

Unless I’m reading things wrong. I’m no expert in lemon law.

You are confusing the warranty coverage–which is provided by the mfr–with a statute which is put into effect by a state. As I stated previously, unless the Lemon Law in the OP’s state is different from the Lemon Law statute in most other states, then there is a strictly-defined limit on the amount of time or odometer mileage before coverage via that statute will expire for the owner of the defective vehicle.

In my state, you have 2 years or 24k miles (whichever comes first) to file a Lemon Law claim. With a 2014 vehicle, I really doubt if Lemon Law coverage is still possible–unless the OP’s state is somewhat unique.

A friend of mine owns a 2014 Focus hatchback. Replacement of the transmission seems to be part of the 30,000 mile service. The sad part was that his dad also bought the same car and it went through 3 transmissions in 100,000 miles. The dealer had agreed to extend the warranty to 100,000 miles so after the 3rd replacement, he moved this car on down the road, figuring it would do the same thing in 30,000 miles.

This transmission is a computer controlled 6 speed automated manual. On paper these seem like they would give the driver the best of both worlds but real world performance and reliability hasn’t been great. I understand there were issues with the computer controls as well as transmission fluid leaking out onto the DRY clutches, causing them to slip and shudder.

My friend always gets a loaner when this happens from Ford so at least he isn’t out a car. He just drives the Focus with a slipping clutch until it is about to leave him stranded, then returns to the dealer. His definition of that is when he has to take a different way home when the clutch starts slipping on a big hill along his normal route.

See https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Focus/2014/
The first thing I see is a statement about continued massive transmission problems. You are not alone on this one.

1 Like