TPMS single sensor failure

2014 Toyota Camry LE
63,000+ miles

PROBLEM: Confirmed by scanner recent failure of one TPMS sensor.

I realize that if one has failed that the others likely may also fail before long.

Since I am having the car’s oil changed and tires rotated in a few weeks, I am thinking of having the one failed TPMS sensor replaced at the same time. Replacing the other sensors at the same time, although logical and recommended, is simply not within my budget until later in the year.

NOTE: The TPMS in this car only alerts that one or more tires has a significantly different pressure than the other tires. It does not show the actual pressure readings.

QUESTION: Since from lifetime habit I still frequently manually check tire pressure with a good gauge and look for any apparent wear/age problems on the tires, is there any real safety reason for replacing all four sensors immediately???

CAVEAT: As an older woman with severe arthritis and without appropriate tools and know how, I am NOT able to accomplish DIY car maintenance work.

Thank you.

Given that statement I would say there’s no compelling reason to replace any of the sensors, unless the blinking light bothers you or you need TPMS for a state safety inspection. You’re far ahead of the average driver with that level of attention.

9 Likes

@asemaster Thank you. I may wait then and budget for for this later.

1 Like

I would go as needed. How much does one cost for replacement? I had a valve stem leaking, so new sensor needed, different make. $65 at the dealer. Bought new tires 3 or 4 months later another valve stem leaking, tire guys replaced it no charge! Lived without them for years, I enjoy having tpms now!

Two places have quoted $80 per sensor.

I’m more concerned to get the transmission fluid changed soon rather than let that go too long.

Very tight budget due to limited income and some medical bills.

1 Like

My sensors show the actual tire pressure. I replace them one by one for about $80 each. I’ve replaced three with one never in 170,000 miles. Impossible to determine anymore with rotating and new tires but I strongly suspect one of the sensors has been replaced twice. That would mean two are still original.

We’re thrifty and one at a time seems best. Gotta go to supper. Now that I’m back, those batteries can last a long time if they don’t have to work. Three or four days of low pressure and one could fail. I’m happy that the Camry is still cruising right along.

+1 for not needed if not required, as long as you pay attention to your tires, you should be good…
The only down side is, with the TPMS light already on, you will not be alerted if any tire is suddenly deflating…
I have 6 vehicles in my little family fleet and only 2 have TPMS, had 3 but they have all been removed from that one… One is a 2009 with over 120K miles with all 4 OEM TPMS sensors still working…

That being said, if piece of mind is what you are looking for, then replace as needed, and if you are going to replace your tires anytime soon, then replace the TPMS sensors at that time, should be cheaper when installing new tires…

1 Like

If I had that problem, I’d replace the sensors as they failed, one at a time if necessary. The other three may last 2 or 3 more years, who knows? Unless I was doing something that made it easy to replace more than one at a time, like purchasing new tires.

I’ve been told here that replacing a single sensor can be done with the tire deflated but still on the rim. Not that big of a deal to only replace one.

I agree with others, generally, that this is a no. At least not all four.

The only remote issue would be what Dave said:

But on that note, I’ve got over 40 years on the road and probably a couple/few millions (?) of miles. I’ve yet to have a vehicle with TPMS, and it would have come in handy only once in all of that time. But even in that case, the handling of the car changed in plenty of time for me to realize a problem and pull over. The biggest real safety thing would be a sudden blowout - like normal pressure to zero in an instant. TPMS won’t help there.

And finally, like George said, if I replaced any:

If any other go bad, the light will tell you. Short story is what’s been said already. If you watch your pressures yourself, there’s not a whole lot to worry about. Those dash lights got the nickname “idiot lights” for a reason - but you’re apparently not among the “idiots!”

3 Likes

If you’re going to have that TPMS sensor replaced in the future, make absolutely sure the shop is capable of programming the new sensor

Believe it or not . . . there are STILL shops out there who will gladly sell and install an expensive new TPMS sensor, yet lack the knowledge and tool(s) to properly program it :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

When I had my Camry, one of the sensors went out and Toyota recommended changing all 4 at the same time because they said the other 3 would be going out soon. Due to money issue, I refused to change any of the sensors and thought having 3 working would keep me happy.

However, about 3 months later, the other sensors went out like Toyota warned.

So I would recommend, from personal experience, that you should change all 4 once one goes out, unless you are fine with living without the sensors.

That’s a nice personal anecdote. But the question was mostly about safety from someone who professed to regularly monitor their tire pressures. It wasn’t really about how likely the other sensors were to fail given similar age. Since you’re a self-professed “clueless” person, then sure. I’d say to keep your TPMS sensors up to date. For people less clueless, it is less critical. For people who do actually need “idiot lights” - then by all means keep the sensors up to date.

1 Like

If you notice, I quoted George statement about changing the sensors as they individually go out. This is what I’m addressing, obviously, otherwise I’d stick strictly to the OP’s assessment on regularly checking his own pressure.

Maybe I wasn’t off topic as you seem to insinuated.

These lights wouldn’t be considered “ idiotic” lights for people with physical disabilities. More likely “ good friend.” :blush:

The mechanical operation of replacing a tire pressure sensor is similar to replacing a valve stem.

However, if only one sensor is to be replaced, the first step is to identify the failing sensor. After replacing the sensor, each sensor ID code must be registered into the tire TPMS receiver. To replace one at a time would involve these steps, so the customer would be paying labor charges 4 times.

Thank you everyone for your replies and input.

2 Likes

At any rate, flat tires are rare but still I’ve had at least three times that the tpms system has warned of a leak in time for me to get it taken care of. I am a believer in keeping the system operational. Better to discover a leak in the garage instead of on the road. And I usually check the readings whenever I drive the car.

1 Like

Couple years ago I hit a pothole on the taconic pky and the car illuminated an orange light on the gauge cluster, warning me of a blown tire. The warning helped me safely maneuver in the center adjacent to a ramp.

Another day while cruising on the local street the dash warned me about a punctured tire and the PSI number began counting down. I was able to safely park the car at a nearby gas station before the tire completely lost air.

Then another time some construction work was being done at my residence and the people left nails on the road next to my car. When I backed out, the orange light came on and I was able to investigate the tire to see what the problem was.

A member on this platform referred to the PSI orange light as “ idiotic” but in my case this helpful orange light that warns drivers of danger related to the tire of their cars is extremely handy and beneficial.

1 Like

We’ve replaced a total of 2 TPMS sensors on my wifes 07 Lexus…and I’ve also replaced 2 on my 14 Highlander. Your assumptions are wrong.