TPMS Help, New Sensor, Still Error Codes

2014 Acura TSX, ~107,000 miles.
I was getting TPMS error codes 36 and 38. I believe they may have been the original sensors, but not entirely sure, unknown maintenance. But know that the previous owner brought it to the dealer for all the work. Codes 36 and 38 correspond to the left and right rear sensors. They would keep on coming back after clearing them. They would come back on a somewhat non-periodic way and on an inconsistent basis. Sometimes it was after about 45 minutes or so of driving, sometimes after about 30 or so.

I had the TPMS sensors replaced with STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS TPM1A at a tire shop.
The new sensors seem to be read by the car TPMS system. I rotated the tires so the rear tires are now in the front. Meaning I saw the change in tire pressure with the new sensors. Old sensors had a different pressure on them, increased pressure in them for testing. After installing new sensors saw the old pressures on the two tires in the front, and after about 15 minutes of driving and relearn procedure, saw the pressures update to new pressure. Decreased pressure to proper amount.

The error codes came back. Except now I got 32, 34, 36, and 38, which corresponds to all four sensors (I was previously not getting 36 and 38). I have cleared them, and they keep coming back on a somewhat irregular interval.

I’m not sure what gives. Had TPMS sensor issues on the two rear tires. Same tires. Replaced both sensors, and put the tires in the front. I even asked for the old sensors back from the tire shop, and they gave them to me. Now I have error codes on all four sensors. It seems that the sensors weren’t the issue.

Looking up these error codes, they seem to be transmission errors. I found the procedure from Honda, and it has the technician check for aftermarket radios or other electronics that could possibly interfering with the sensors. But this car has a stock radio that came with the car, and no other wireless technology in it besides the TPMS sensors. Well there are cell phones in the car when the codes come back on. The only thing I could think of is the blue tooth, wi-fi, or cellular signals from cellphones interfering with the sensors.

Any ideas on what could be the issue or how to troubleshoot further? The only thing I could think of, if the sensors are not the issue, is what ever TPMS computer module that is receiving and processing these sensors could have an issue. Not exactly sure what piece of electrical hardware that could be, but suspect only the Honda part exists, which would be very expensive to remove and replace with a new one.

Have you considered ignoring the TPMS altogether?

It seems the module that contains the receiver is not working very well. I see some Hondas have a front and rear receiver but not all are the same.

1 Like

Like I said we had an Acura that would show tpms errors only when the back seat was occupied. The reading device was in the trunk so reasoned the the signal was getting blocked somehow or maybe it was multiple cell phones who know? The troubleshooting chart said to replace the reader. The dealer was no help. We just traded. Suggest either replacing the unit or ignoring and moving on. I used to watch old Charlie Chan detective shows and had a wealth of wisdom in them.

What sort of transmission errors? The car’s transmission? Or do you mean signal-transmission errors?

One theory for why you are having problems on all four sensors now, when before you only had problems on the rear tires, the receiving tpms antenna is located at the front of the car. The previous front tires, now on rear, those batteries are older & slightly discharged. Transmits ok on the front, but transmitter is too far for signal to reach antenna from the rear. The other two sensors battery should be fully charged, so they should work ok (esp since on the front). Either the new sensors are faulty, or the car’s computer needs to somehow be properly configured to recognize them.

If I had that problem, unless for some reason I liked the challenge as a puzzle, I’d just ignore the tire pressure monitoring system altogether. I’ve never owned a car with the tpms function, and never noticed any problem caused by not having it.

1 Like

Op are those sensors in question multi frequency or single? and are the the correct frequency for your car?

Thanks guys. I think I may just ignore it. Sorry, it’s signal transmission errors, like the TPMS is transmitting the signal, but the computer can’t process it or something, signal transmission, not mechanical transmission.

According to my TPMS tool, it’s single frequency, and I do believe they are the correct ones for my car. It was recommended for it by rock auto part catalog.

1 Like