TPMS Help, 2014 Acura TSX, 36-01 and 38-01

Hi,

I have a 2014 Acura TSX with about 100k miles on it. I keep on getting TPMS errors 36-01 and 38-01, which are rear and left transmission error for the TPMS. Seems to be some sort of DTC that gets actuated when communication is lost with the TPMS sensor. I use a TPMS tool and see that all TPMS, that the battery is OK. I have cleared both DTCs, but the keep coming back. I’ve looked online and it suggests looking for aftermarket radios, backup cameras etc… Suggesting to me that it’s some sort of EMI issue resulting in loss of communication with the sensors. It’s more of just an annoyance, as the battery is still good and still reading pressure. Any idea on how I can correct the situation that is resulting in these error codes? I’m not sure that replacing the sensors with new ones will help, based on this being a communication error between the sensor and computer. Thanks for any help!

Also, is there some sort of chemical that I could use to get rid of the rtv sealer on the back of the TPMS sensor so I could replace the battery? I see online people scrape it off, but that seems kind of dangers of damaging the PCB as you get closer to it. I’m wondering if there’s some sort of chemical that will dissolve the RTV/gasket material, or soften it up to make removal of it easier.

So your TPMS sensors work… but you want to change batteries? Why?

Does your tool display show the battery voltage of each sensor? Weak batteries cause intermittent signals from the tire pressure sensors and those faults to occur.

Google might tell you what it is that dissolves RTV. Usually a layer of already hardened RTV can just be peeled or scraped off. I expect you already know that lf the sensor battery is weak (which is probably the cause of your symptoms), the best repair method is to replace the entire sensor assembly with a new one. Any other sort of sensor repair technique could prove unsafe.

I have a Autel TS508. As far as I can tell, this tool only tells you if the voltage is Ok or Not Ok. If someone else has this tool and knows how to get the actual voltage numerical value, let me know. Also when you scan the sensors, it shows you a battery symbol that apparently depletes as it gets weaker.

I guess I’ll probably be fine, until the battery actually starts showing up as low. I also suspected that the battery is going to die soon, so I was going to explore possibly just replacing the battery. I hear aftermarket ones aren’t so good, and sometimes come out of the packaging with a dead battery.

I don’t know if it relates or not but I think it was our 2012 tl. When we had back seat passengers I would get an error for the tpms. The module / computer/or whatever the processor was, was in the trunk. Ok with no one in back, but passengers seemed to block the signal. The dealer was no great help but I sensed the controller needed to be replaced.

TPMS sensor battery replacement. Here's how, but is it worth it?.