Toyota Model Compatibility

Is a 1990 Toyota Camry compatible with a 1990 Toyota Corolla?

Yes, I Think So. They’d Make A lovely Couple.

Is that what you meant by compatible or did you have something else in mind ?

CSA

Parts are not interchangable, if that’s what you’re thinking. They’re different designs.

They are two distinctly different vehicles. Parts are not interchangeable.

Owning one of each, however, is perfectly acceptable. With proper maintenance they are very reliable vehicles.

First off, i’d like to thank mcparadise for your coherent, professional response.

Second, common sense answer, your response was foolish, incompetent, and pretty much useless.

Thank you.

In the car business there is a term called “commonality”. It’s also used by the military to reduce the stock of spares.

There is a 2.4 liter optional engine in the Corolla that is the same as the base engine in the Camry. The transmissions would also be the same. However, with all the electronic controls and tuning to a specific vehicle, if you swapped engines you might have engine management problems.

To reduce overall production costs most large manufacturers have different car “platforms” which generate a number of different models. So the Matrix and Pontiac Vibe are derived from the basic Corolla platform. The Sienna minivan is derived from the Camry platform.

Manufacturers also have a series of engines; ranging from small (like 1.5 liter) to large V8s. These engines and the matching transmisions might be used in several models. Again, this saves on design and production costs.

Hope this gives you some background in car technology.

Sarcastic answer appear when questions are incomplete. Yours was so general, I was waiting for you to be more specfic: engine? interior? body components?

Thanks Much ! I Always Try And Match My Answer To The Question Asked. It Looks Like I Hit The Mark, Again.

I couldn’t comprehend your question. It was incomprehensible as written ! I added a little humor and asked for more information. You never responded to my question so that I could have given additional help which I was ready, willing, and able to give.

Have a nice day,

CSA

Pro Tip : The more descriptive the question, the more accurate the answers given will be. Your question was vague.