Toyota - lifetime warrenties

I bought a 2011 toyota Camry - Do the “extra” warranties real or hype? They offer:1. rust preventive undercoating/sound shield; 2. Rust-proofing; 3. Paint protection; 4. Interior protection —if not, am I liable since I signed–it sounded great at time, a lot less money than coming in again–

Its all BS. If you have not driven the car off the lot, you may be able to renegotiate. The test drive does not count.

Keith—This was a few days ago; is the contract enforceable regarding these “life-time warranties?” Can I cancel my appointment and tell them I changed my mind?

I’m confused. Usually they sell you the extended warrantees at the point of sale. What is this “appointment”?

Yes, after the “deal” with the salesperson; he had me go see another person who spoke to me about the extended warrantees. I thought at time seemed like a good deal because she showed me some information; about the warrantees and prices–they doubled after I would walk out.

I forgot to say that the appointment is to get the car done–that is part of the “protection plan” --that is the asphalt-base tar undercoating which would be applied; a petroleum-base gel applied to areas specified on plan to car; a teflon-base glaze applied to entire body ot wehicle; a silicone gel applied to the interior of vehicle…

All of it is a HUGE waste of money, and the price is never HIGHER than when you said ‘yes’. Have you paid any money yet? What is the exact status of your deal?

Did you sign anything with this second person? Was this meeting at the dealers location or off site? BTW, this all a big scam and it may invalidate your warrantee. Because of the warrantee issues, you may want to report this to the Toyota Customer Care number listed in your owners manual. The dealer maybe violating their agreements with Toyota.

Those extra undercoatings are not only a waste, but may actually promote rust. Your new Toyota is undercoated from the factory. Any additional “stuff” just provides a place for debris to hide.

All this “life time” is for people who actually think that the original owner of coverage will keep a car more than a few years. Most people trade before any protection bears fruit and scamming is a common capitalistic and accepted way of generating revenue. In rust prevention, chaissos is right and no one time shot does much. It’s a maintenance issue that you need to stay on top of like oil changes. Rust proofing scams keep rolling around every generation when people have had time to for get about “Ziebart”. (sp)

Toyota does in my opinion, market more reliable cars than most, but only enough to separate them in perception from other makers. As an owner, you should be saving money on a reliable car. We’ll have none of that. Toyota is as good at scamming as anyone. Build a reliable car than scam you into thinking you need even more protection beyond their own design parameters; give me a break.

Cars are designed to fail and rust at a certain rate as best as their engineers and bean counters can work together to maximize profit while still holding the longevity claim. A neat trick. My stock reply when buying a Toyota and offered this warranty is;
“Why would I be interested. I expressly bought your car because I would not have a need for future work covered by them.”

Yes, I did sign some paper work. I was in a big rush because I was on my way to NJ–stopping at my parents and heading to drop my son in the Catskills, NY. It was at the dealership; in a backroom with another person.

I forgot to say that I did not give them any money toward this. I want to cancel my appointment to come in tomorrow (supposedly to get the work done)–do I call them or someone else?

call the dealership and cancel the appointment and see about backing out of the extras. They hit you up twice for rust protection just so you know. How much did they ream you for this disservice?

This entire “protection” plan (as indicated initially) is 1296–that is not just rust preventive undercoating but rust-proofing, paint protection and interior protection work. They got me on all this.

If you can’t get your money back, then consider it a costly lesson to never be in a hurry when signing all the paperwork.

Really, call Toyota Customer Service and do not let them “rust proof” the car, it will do more harm than good. You might be able to get your money back on misrepresentation.

1. ripp off
  2. ripp off
  3. ripp off
  4. ripp off

Yup, you’re liable. And nope, it isn’t less expensive than going back ahould you have a warranty problem. You’d have been better to put the money in the bank in a seperate account and call it “my warranty money”. As it is now, the money is gone, kaput, already calculated into the salesman’s bonus and the dealer’s profits, even if you never ever break down.

I’d suggest you call it the “cost of an education” and never do this again. It’s a sure loser.

You can and should try to get out of it, but don’t get optimistic.

The really difficult thing to accept is that I know many of the employees personally at our local Toyota dealership and they have saved me lots of $$$$$$ over the years with their personal advice. I even had a discussion on this matter years ago with their body shop manager and how important it is to keep the drain holes clear and how these aftermarket rust proofing programs sold at their own dealership and others, compromises this.

There is a big difference between corporate positions on these add ons and other matters designed to maximize profit and the integrity of those who work there. I don’t take it personally, everyone has kids to send through college. You just have to work with everyone in the retail market in a well prepared knowledgable manner and do your research before dealing with them. Car buying strategies are available to all through CR and others dealing with add on warrantees. Money saved is money earned.

I’m sure it is already over but you signed the paper for the work but did not pay for it or have it done yet, but took delivery of the car. If you didn’t pay anything yet, you have a good chance of canceling it. You signed a contract but with no consideration or performance so it should be cancelable.

The last step in buying a car is always to the person that tries to upsell the add ons and financing, extended warrantees etc. You just keep saying no no no and they’ll look disappointed and try and make it look like you are a jerk and making a big mistake but just tell them you need time to decide and can’t make quick decisions. They’ll understand the personality type and see the futility.

“… See, they install that TruCoat
at the factory, there’s nothin’ we
can do, but I’ll talk to my boss.” - Jerry Lundegaard (Fargo 1996)