Toyota - lifetime warrenties

Well any car can have major expensive repairs.

The profit to the salesman and company is usually over 50%. So for every $1,000 you spend the insurance company has less than $500 to pay for repairs or they will loose money, something insurance companies do not do. Some people will get nothing back and some will get a lot more than they pay.  Most will get far less. In addition you need to keep in mind that the insurer has worded it to eliminate as many expensive things as they can.

Remember that the seller is out to make money and they get to write the rules and set the price.  They are not going to sell them at a loss so one way or another they are going to have you pay more than they will pay out.  

Would you gamble with a car dealer who gets to set all the rules and knows all the odds?   

Your decision has to do with the value of the piece of mind it gives you. If that is worth the cost then buy it. Don't expect it to cover everything however, most are written to keep cost down and exempt what they know will cost them money. 

Good Luck

J.E.M, I don’t think he is referring to a mechanical break down warranty but a paint and interior warranty.
The dealers here call it “Desert Protection Package”. It’s a $2,000 add on that cost about $20 in materials for the wax and interior stain protection. Some packages come with an anual reapplication or detail. I believe there is also a garrantee that if your paint peels 12 years from now the dealership will be long gone.
One dealership I worked at sold undercoating in the desert, they called it soundproofing, $400. The new car prep guy sprayed the underside of the car with rubberized undercoating.

You are correct Nevada; however, I was able to cancel it. I have peace of mind; I don’t have to give them any more money; however, I have to come to terms that I paid too high price for Camry. I know I could have gotten the car for $900 less somewhere else, but I was in a grind. I ran out of time because my old car wasn’t probably going to make it, that is to drive my son to Catskills for sleep-away camp, Anyway, what do you suggest now to protect my car? I’m not a do it yourself person, have very limited resources, and in apartment.

None of those items are needed on a modern car. Just make sure you maintain it ‘by the book’ (the owners manual). Have it washed periodically, and waxed if you like. It’ll be fine.

Toyota and Honda always carry a high price tag compared to domestic and Korean brands, so don’t feel too bad about it.
If you want a real laugh, go to Wally-Word and browse their automotive section for car wax and fabric protection. When you see how much a bottle of the stuff is, laugh at how stupid some people can be at paying 1000% of that for the same stuff.

Your car has a clear coat on the paint to protect it. Running it through a carwash periodically is all you need. If you get any bird droppings on it, you can spot clean them with a wet paper towel. Wash your hands immediately after as bird droppings can carry a fatal disease.

You can also clean off any bug splatters on the paint. You can buy any one of the many car waxes/polishes available, some are very easy to use. I used to anal about waxing my cars in the old days before the clearcoat. Now, I don’t wax anymore and it doesn’t seem to hurt the vehicles. I have two vehicles that are 14 years old and still have the original paint.

Follow the maintenance schedule in the owners manual. You do not have to use the dealer for this, and a lot of regulars here will go so far as to advise you not to use the dealer. Find a good independent mechanic, check with friends for recommendations. I would avoid the “quicky oil change places” and develop a good relationship with a mechanic you can trust, it can save you money in the long run.

One last thing, avoid anyone who wants to “detail” your car. Do not allow this to happen. Most detailers use a power polishing tool that can easily rub off your clearcoat. I’ve seen it happen a couple of times now. It looks good for a few weeks, then the paint begins to fade at an accelerated rate. There maybe some good detailers out there, but a lot of them are not.

"J.E.M, I don’t think he is referring to a mechanical break down warranty but a paint and interior warranty.
The dealers here call it “Desert Protection Package”. Different name different part of the car, but the same business model.

Which is better? Is it safer/easier to back into parking lot parking spot or to pull in and back out?

It takes a little practice, but it is safer and easier to back into a parking spot than to drive in.  

When turning in, you are restricted as you pull in by the cars on either side.  When you pull in forward, your controlled wheels are restricted by the car on either side. When you back in the turning wheels are not as restricted.  

Does not sound right, but if you get a couple of toy cars and try it out.  Back in high school I worked in a parking garage.  

Also remember that when backing out you You are backing into traffic when you have ever less control and visibility.

J.E.M, I don’t think he is referring to a mechanical break down warranty but a paint and interior warranty. Different names to the same thing. They sell over priced services calling an overpriced insurance policy, a warranty. The buyer is lucky to get a product worth half of what they charge.

The profit to the salesman and company is usually over 50%. So for every $1,000 you spend the insurance company has less than $500 to pay for repairs or they will loose money, something insurance companies do not do. Some people will get nothing back and some will get a lot more than they pay.  Most will get far less. In addition you need to keep in mind that the insurer has worded it to eliminate as many expensive things as they can.

Remember that the seller is out to make money and they get to write the rules and set the price.  They are not going to sell them at a loss so one way or another they are going to have you pay more than they will pay out.  

Would you gamble with a car dealer who gets to set all the rules and knows all the odds?   

Your decision has to do with the value of the piece of mind it gives you. If that is worth the cost then buy it. Don't expect it to cover everything however, most are written to keep cost down and exempt what they know will cost them money. 

Good Luck

Thank you for the advice; especially Keith about the power polishing!!