2019 Honda CR-V - After sales push

My husband and I just bught a new Honda CRV EX. After negotiating what seemed a somewhat reasonable price with a likeable salesman, we were hit with hard sells from two other people. First, a woman tried to convince us if we didn’t buy a protection package, the exterior paint and interior plastic would all disintegrate, the whole car would rust out, and the seats would be ruined by spills. She said the EPA recommends clear-coating. Next a guy touted a 10-year all-inclusive warranty, saying the car has 100-plus computers, and repairs are horrifically expensive. These warranties would have added many thousands to the cost. At this point, I’m wondering why are we buying a car that is going to be a rustbucket in a few years and demanding repairs we can’t afford? These sales pitches suckedall the joy out of owning a new car, and zi was about ready to back out of the deal. Should we have at least spent another $2,000 plus for the 10-year warranty? Thanks for your insight.

I say No and many others here also say No. Your vehicle already has clear coat on it so it is possible she meant something like a protective coating on top of the clear coat. A good wax twice a year is all you need. Almost all new cars have very few problems in the first 3 years and the warranty will take care of that . put that 2000.00 in your credit union and let it grow and then in four or five years you will have cash for repairs.

2 Likes

That’s what I tell the salesman, if this car is such a piece of @#!&, that I need all this extra protection I’m going to pass on this car and find another brand, then get up to walk away.

Most of the time, I get the car for even less then what we originally negotiated, and no up-selling.

4 Likes

You were lied to by salesmen trying to boost the profit on the car. Pure and simple. Don’t give it another thought.

@VOLVO_V70 has the right idea… if you are worried about unexpected repairs, put a little money aside now for later repairs.

Thanks to all for your helpful responses. I was appalled by the heavy-handed sales pitches. Up to that point, the buying experience was going quite well, with a sales guy we really liked. I think I’ll pass on the warranty. The only reason I would even consider it is becauseof all the electronics on the new car. We’ve been driving Hondas since 1982 and they’ll all been wonderful, trouble-free cars, but I realize that all the new elecronics add more complexity.

They tried to push all that and more on my dad when he bought his new CRV Touring recently, you don’t need any of it, dealers try to push this stuff.

We’ll see how long dad actually keeps this one (If they bring the hybrid to the US in a couple years he’s trading up,otherwise will keep as long as possible) but the 2007 CRV he traded in only needed normal wear items in 12yrs of ownership.

Did your previous car rust out in a few years? Did the paint peel off in a few years? Did the interior plastic fall apart in a few years?

Didn’t think so, and that’s why you DON’T need any of this overpriced “protection packages”.

Also, I would NEVER buy any extended warranty unless it is sold and backed by the manufacturer itself. A so-called “extended warranty” backed by a third-party insurance company or “warranty company” isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on. If I was buying a new or Certified Pre-Owned vehicle, I would consider the manufacturer’s extended warranty, if available at a reasonable price.

The only rusty car in the family fleet was our 1960’s Dodge that was used in the late 70’s to build the house and cost $300. These 'protection packages" are pure profit for the dealer. $700 for the part that plugs in to make a “free” app work was among the ways this dealer tried to make back the $2,000 Costco discount and more. At least $3,000 in various add on’s that were refused.

The finance office is always the worst part about buying a car in our experience but as long as you hold your ground you’ll forget about all the games and enjoy the new car.

Avoid these add-ons. They’re simply profit generators.

What should be said to the sales people is “I don’t want this car if it has lousy paint, lousy trim pieces, prone to rust, and easily ruined seats. I had no idea it was such a pile of junk new”.
Wonder what they would say to that…

What you’re going through is entirely normal although very distasteful. They all do it.

3 Likes

This is pretty standard sales techniques. It’s called “puffing” when they exaggerate the perils or the qualities of products. You just smile and say no thanks. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

1 Like

You did right. This is a scam, profit to the dealer, pure and simple. They all do it.

You can buy a Honda-backed extended warranty any time during the original warranty period. But I would just put that money aside, I bet you’ll still have almost all of it by the time you sell.

Thanks for your reassurance. I was somewhat prepared, remembering a similar hard-sell when we bought our 2015 Honda CRV from another dealer, but this time was much worse. We live and learn, I guess.

We did take delivery yesterday and do like the car, despite all the hassle.

Thanks for the good advice.

Thanks for the laugh. I did say something milder to the guy pitching the warranty, and I hope to be able to convey some of that in the inevitable manufacturer’s questionnaire I’ll expect to get later.

You dont need anything added to the paint . Keep it washed and wax it once or twice a year with wax that usually cost less than $15 .

A Nissan dealer I worked for used to add everything in the book to every new car on the lot. Some people balked and the dealer would knock half or 2/3 off of those add-ons to make them feel better. The dealer was still cashing in even with a huge “discount”.

One Friday near quitting time management came out and asked if any of us mechanics would like to stay late and “add some paint protection” as they were running way behind. I volunteered and worked an extra hour… We got paid 1 hour per car to do this and it could be done in 15 minutes with some hustle. So I knocked out 4 cars in one hour.

This “paint protectant” was nothing more than a very thin wax. Wipe it on, it glazed in a few seconds, and wipe it off. First rainfall or car wash and it’s gone.

The product was 5 bucks a bottle and even with labor cost added they still cleaned up at 300 dollars a car for paint protection.

Congrats and hopes for many years of happy driving… and great choice.

If you live in one of the rust-belt states, independent shops have lower pricing on rust prevention. Dealer products vary from excellent, down to $40 worth of product you can apply at home. For the maint contract, it’s a gamble with odds going to the house… after the dealer rakes in 10-15% off the top. If they sell you a non-factory policy, odds of collecting are even lower.

I’m surprised the dealer didn’t insist you finance with their lender. My new car was deeply discounted but it cost 1.5% more when I paid cash.

Ah, you’ve seen it in action. It was happening even back in the 70’s. Our Chevy dealer sold a $250 protection plan. (Expensive in 1974.) It was 2 rattle cans of undercoat, a can of silicone wax, and Scotchguard. Nothing like the face of a new car owner when he steps on the brakes, after his vinyl seats have been SG’d, and slides to the floor at the first stop. The prep dudes didn’t have a lift… just slide under the car and spray tar on the underside, using care to get it on the exhaust and tranny.

On the other side, there’s the new equipment some dealers use. If the shop people have been properly trained in its use, it can do an excellent job, fixing what the factory should have built in.

When I decide on what new car I am going to purchase, I tell the sales person two things:

1. I have some money and you have a car. I want to know how much of my money it will take to buy your car. I want your lowest price that you can guarantee for five days. I am shopping other dealers and if you have the lowest price I will be back to buy your car
  2. I am buying the car, the whole car and nothing but the car. I am not here to buy financing, extended warranties, rust proofing or paint protection.
    Interestingly, our Toyota dealer has always come up with a good price and has never tried to sell me rust proofing, extended warranties, etc.
    Also, the service department seems no higher than the independent shops where I had done business. In fact, one time when I had the Sienna serviced, my wife had the checkbook. As she started to write the check, the cashier said, “Oh, you are paying for this? Today is ladies day”. She recomputed the invoice and knocked a small percentage off the price.
2 Likes