Towable cars

I’m looking for anyone that can recommend an automatic transmition that can be towed with all wheel down on the ground behind a motor home.

Here you go:

http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/dinghytowingguide/

Even cars that aren’t factory-equipped to be towable can usually be retrofitted with drive shaft disconnects, which also has the advantage of preventing the odometer from gaining any miles while you’re towing.

My wife and I owned a 1998 Suzuki Sidekick 4X4. It had a feature where you could shift the transfer case to neutral, and tow with all four wheels down without damage. You can check to see if any of the newer models, like the Vitara, still have this feature.

Any car with an automatic transmission can be towed with all four wheels on the ground, only some cars will have to be modified to do so. Even the ones that can be towed without modification to the drivetrain will need some kind of brake system installed in the car. The car will need its own brake assist system so its brakes are applied when the RV’s brakes are applied.

Basically there are two alternatives of modifications necessary for an automatic transmission. One involves hubs that unlock to disconnect the drive wheels from the transmission. The other system circulates the transmission fluid while the car is being towed. Although the fluid is being curculated, there is still wear being put on the transmission. So even if you get a car that can be towed behind an RV, make sure you find out whether or not you will be putting wear on your transmission. This is why I always recommend the unlocking hubs.

Personally, I would recommend either a tow dolly to put the front wheels on or a manual transmission. The tow dolly will solve all the problems since it will have its own surge brakes and will not require any modification to the car. Those systems I described are expensive and can fail.

My friend had a Suzuki like busted knuckles suggested. This worked great for them for years. Best bet is a 4x4 with a manual transfer case so you can shift the entire drive train into neutral.

Good luck

Why do you fear a tow dolly? It’s safe and is best for a FWD car. Rear wheel susp. ,bearings and tires are the only things that get much wear.

thanks just wanted to stay away from adding things to it.

Thanks, I will look into this.

Thanks for reply I think that is what I will look for.

Thanks for your reply. I will look into the Suzuki