RV Tow Vehicle

We own a class A motorhome and wanted a small vehicle to tow. We’re seeing more and more vehicles being towed with all four wheels on the ground and most of them have automatic transmissions. I thought that automatics had to be towed with the drive wheels off the ground, and that only standard-shift cars could be towed with all wheels on the ground. What’s the real story?

Just put RV forums in your search engine and you will most likely find an answer.

http://webcontent.goodsam.com/motorhomemagazine.com/2015DinghyGuide.pdf

Start on page 14 - it’s the 2015 list of vehicles that can be flat-towed. The rest of the document has good information about dinghy towing in general that you probably want to peruse before you tow anything.

@shadowfax beat me to it. Don’t depend on folks saying a car can be towed, use the guide.

“Don’t depend on folks saying a car can be towed, use the guide.”

Second that. While I’ve never been a flat-tow advocate, I do realise it’s cheaper and easier than using a trailer or dolly. We HAVE had others come here and relate as to how they were told “Oh, sure, you can flat tow that!” only to find out later they did their transmission/transfer case in.

I’ll third that assessment from shadowfax as well. It’s right on the money.

I do realise it’s cheaper and easier than using a trailer or dolly.

I agree with cheaper but do not agree with easier. It is much easier backing up with a car on a trailer than a car with all four wheels on the ground or a car on a dolley.

Generally a dinghy is detached before you back into the campsite. They’re pretty quick-release so you won’t be in anyone’s way if you do it that way.

And more and more campgrounds that cater to large motor homes are using pull-through sites so you don’t have to back up at all, because some of those monsters are 45 feet long and backing them into a campsite off of a narrow campground road surrounded by trees can be tricky.

I was thinking more of the inevitable fuel and rest stops where usually some one all but blocks you in someplace and then they can’t be found.