Totally confused about a brake rotor replacement

Sorry everyone, didn’t mean to offend or try to do any plug or sell or anything like that. Please just totally disregard my post all together! Again Sorry for wasting your time. Sorry Sorry Sorry!!!

1 Like

Tom, no offense taken. I think some jumped the gun thinking your username was an ad. You’re free to post here. Edit - it is true that we ask people to refrain from the political commentary. Everybody is happier when we leave that stuff out.

Love means never having to say you’re sorry. Holy cow, now that’s what, 50 years ago?? And the post is only 11 years old. What the hey does that mean anyway?? Oh, sorry, back to rotors.

But it seems that almost everybody minds it

:laughing:

Old threads draw a lot of activity to the message board, yourself, Bing and Triedaq just replied to a different old thread (6 years) without complaint less than 2 hours ago.

I don’t mind it. Just because a thread is old doesn’t automatically make it irrelevant- especially in automotive terms.

Lots of Hyundai Sonatas still on the road. and the others even made it back home.

:smiley:

The problem is that a large percentage of the time the revival post is nonsense , not even related to the original problem or vehicle, or Spam .

1 Like

I agree, but I think the appropriate course of action is to ignore it if it’s nonsense, and ban the user if it’s spam. Not all old threads should never be spoken of again.

5 Likes

It was Truman who said that, so I would say if your rotors are 70 years old, they were probably due to be changed anyway.

There are many revived old threads that I enjoy reading. It’s often because things change and solutions to problems several years ago now have different answers.

2 Likes

Enjoy reading but just don’t tell me what’s causing the stalling of my Riviera that I haven’t had for about 10 years. Yeah someone did a while back.

2 Likes

I have a question in regards to this. I bought a 2019 Honda Civic in Feb 2019. I lived in a humid area in Canada. I drove it across Canada and had to get it inspected in the new province. It had just under 30 000 KMs and they told me it needed new pads and rotors saying the rotors were pitted. They took a picture but I don’t know what to look for but everyone is telling me that’s bs that I needed new rotors that soon. They tried to say the car sits a lot but it doesn’t, driven every day. Had almost 30 000 kms after just over a year. It was inspected in April 2020.

Is this inspection shop a commercial shop that does province inspections or is it a government inspection station? If it’s the former, they might be looking for business. If it’s a commercial shop, try getting another inspection at a different shop if you don’t want to do the work. You could also do the work yourself and pay about $100 for parts.

1 Like

$100 isn’t a lot for a pair of vented brake rotors

I’d be somewhat skeptical

Pitted rotoes are just a way of life in salt country, some cars seem to be more susceptible to it, but I don’t know if it is designs that trap salt or inferior materials. My Toyota which has had2 front pad and rotor sets and one set of calipers and 2 rear pad and rotor sets and one caliper and needs yet another pad and rotor set , all in 9 years and 54000 miles. The original Toyota parts did not last any longer than the aftermarket ones. The first set of replacements were using coated rotors, it made no difference.The problem is just due to rust, rust and more rust, Nothing wears unevenly.

1 Like

It was about that cost when I bought the last set for my 2005 Accord. I looked up the same parts and they are about $170 now for pads and rotors on 4 wheels. .

1 Like

I took it to a commercial place which is why I’m thinking I got ripped off. The cost was a killer, the new pads I understand. The other thing is I had to have the car inspected upon buying it new from dealership. So maybe they just slapped an inspection sticker on it assuming all is fine because it was a brand new vehicle with 13km on it when really the rotors could have been that way originally. Maybe sitting on the car lot could have caused the damage? 13km when I bought it so it wasn’t “test driven” much but since I have owned it is hasn’t sat. I appreciate the feedback all.

When a rotor gets pitted it quickly wears the pads down but if new rotors and pads are installed and the car parked after a few miles on salted streets the new rotors will be as rough as the ones they replaced. If it were my car I would just replace the pads as needed until the rotors were worn beyond the factory limits because starting “totally fresh” doesn’t accomplish anything.

But how did this thread get brought back to life after 13 years? Well never mind. I see it was a good pick up point for a fresh target… Ready on the RIGHT… Ready on the LEFT.

This. Which is why I’m about to head out again in my car that sounds like a Sherman tank being dragged upside down over a scree field - but was just checked by a mechanic who said it sounds awful but it still stops (short version… :wink: ).

When you live on a Michigan back road that requires driving through standing water on a regular basis - a quarter mile from home, so you’re not likely to totally dry the brakes before you get there - you learn to deal with some annoyances, and just replace everything when it gets to the “doesn’t work and can’t be fixed any more” stage.