2018 Hyundai Sonata - Warped rotors so soon?

did the lack of use of my car cause my rotors to warp?
i purchased a certified used 2018 sport in 2019. It only had 3800 miles. just recently i felt the braking action was different so I wanted the dealership to have a look at it.
it was much to my surprise that they advised that my rotors needed to be resurfaced. (i have had the car for a year and 2 mos. and have less than 12000 miles still.) When i asked how the rotors wore with such low mileage i was advised that its because of the lack of drivingā€¦ I have never heard of such. This is my 1st Hyundai and prior to this i leased cars, drove about the same and never had any mention of rotors. Can you shed any light on my situation? Will i be replacing these unused rotors soon? what is my recourse to having the dealership assume some or all of the expense (seeing as it was purchased as ā€˜certifiedā€™ used ?

your input is greatly appreciated .
regards
~Ree

Warped rotors are usually the result of either heavy/hard braking causing excessive heat or manufacturing defect. I donā€™t know how you drive so I donā€™t know which is more likely. Certified Hyundais have the remainder of 5yrs./60k bumper-to-bumper. Rotors are a wear-and-tear item and therefore not covered but if thereā€™s anything inherently wrong with the brakes like a bad caliper that might be something else.

Are you in a damp or rainy climate?
Did they actually say they are warped?
Unused brake rotors can collect rust.
Some spirited driving can clear the problem up.

1 Like

Itā€™s a used vehicle.

Tester

Brake rotors can and do develop hard spots when moisture is trapped under the brake pads. The longer it sits in one place, the more likely a hard spot develops. When the car is driven, it wears unevenly because the hard spot doesnā€™t wear as fast as the rest of the rotor.

With only 3800 on the car when you bought itā€¦ tells me this carā€™s been doing a lot of sitting before you bought it. Thatb s when the hard spot developed. The ā€œwarpedā€ developed when you drove it. Actually, thickness variation.

All manufacturers have this problem to varying degrees. I doubt youā€™ll have this problem again.

Just some food for thought considering the very low miles and possibly depending upon the in service date, one might wonder if it was sitting because it was in an accident. Maybe having the car looked over for collsion damage would be a good idea. And yes, I know a CPO should be checked for this butā€¦

CPO is only as good as the person doing the inspecting. In a perfect world that means a competent mechanic but that may not always be the case. Dealers have to pay the mechanic for that inspection and no dealer likes any whittling done on the profit margin.

Since the car has low miles still you might contact Hyundaiā€™s regional office and ask if they would perform a Good Will warranty for you. Sometimes this is done as a PR gesture. The worst that can happen is they may say no. Give it a shot and see what happens.
And keep it respectfully polite. Express some disappointment but do not show any anger.