Tommy's fault? Only partly

I’ve been a big fan of history ever since Alicia Keyes wrote The Star Spangled Banner. Once I mentioned the USS Enterprise and somebody said “I thought that was only on TV, I didn’t think it was real”. Oh well.

My reply seems to have been lost in the web someplace, oh well.

Notice I said “that look like gang member,” the press and other don’t have a problem saying a white with a shaved head, t-shirt, steeled toed boots is a skin head, but if you see a group of black men dressed in blue, don’t you dare say they are Crips.

But you miss the point basically I’m not talking about people who just disagree, I’m talking about people who protest in front of a business, who try and get people fired, who protest in front of a church and assault people, all for expressing a point of view. I’m talking about laws that protect certain people more than others. I’m talking about laws that defines hate speech as making someone uncomfortable, assuming they are one of the protected group. Yes both of those are real laws.

That’s what I’m talking about when I say intolerant, where you can’t speak your mind, where some people get more protection from the law than others. Where people will riot when they don’t get their way, but don’t you dare say a word if you don’t get your way. That’s what I mean when I say intolerant.

My opinions are subject to change with new facts.

My brother told the kids in his math class one time that he was stationed on the USS Enterprise…They all laughed. Not one knew it was the name of Carrier.

“The way I remember it, the assault weapons ban was promoted pretty well.”

It’s taken a while to respond Whitey.
I have yet to hear people for or against the ban really explain the technology involved to the satisfaction of their opposition and why it’s important to consider. Example; the recoil of an assault weapon is small compared to the destructive power it can display making the cartridge and not the weapon alone key elements in the ban; which is seldom talked about. This minimal recoil and high firepower of both handguns and assault rifles yields deadly consequences with little effort or training which is really an important issue; this and availability.
Every opponent talks about an M16 like it’s an excellent hunting rifle too while statistically, these weapons are seldom used by the average criminal and still available to drug king pins, ban or not. It’s the frustration of the “equal armed clan” who think that the only thing that will protect a house hold is advanced weaponry which manages to be stolen and found in the hands of more of the criminal element. It’s actually the legal procurement that contributes to it’s criminal use.

What protects the average guy is assurance of the criminal getting caught and proper training in the use of self defense measures which “assault weapons” and high capacity hand guns play little role.

Making a ban w/o alternatives is the reason why in my opinion, I continue to say it’s been poorly sold. Back ground checks are laughable when less than 20% of the information from some states is forth coming to our national archives…and so on. The package for gun control in it’s entirety just isn’t there, and over time the corporate influence continues to win out. We continue to play along with misinformation and sound bite retorts. Clinton experienced an element of success as the ban was supported with increased funding for police across the nation. When the repeal is upheld because monetary concerns out way personal safety, we again play into the hands of the corps.

Funny, as we saw with the ban and increased funding, there is a direct correlation between public safety and economic growth. Especially true in NY sectors that were previously high crime areas. Chicken or the egg; who knows ? But that it’s not sold enough as part of an entire package. The ban will never survive on it’s merits alone…as we have seen.

I think the kids on the street aren’t so excited about gangs & drugs anymore-- not as much. They’ve seen what happens-- people getting killed, their moms getting strung out. That whole jerk movement in L.A. – California Swags – is anti drugs & gangs-- guys wearing Hello Kitty t-shirts, lol. But the statistic people & the suits don’t pay attention as usual and credit their police forces with the downturn in crime, with the caveat saying, “we can’t be certain what the cause is.” You can’t be certain, but you can go ask the populations involved and use that data. They never ask. They just assume. Most of the time people were getting killed over dumb stuff like, "You looked at my girlfriend."
But it would always get reported as drug related, always! They don’t ask.

Well, I see my missing post was moved for moderation queue, that mean a few people didn’t like my post or my point, which just goes to shows that the PC police are alive and well. And no I didn’t call anyone names. My post was mainly about being PC and the fact you can think it but not say it.

I prefer music,for the various reasons already posted.

I used to read the paper everyday, but my bloodpressure would skyrocket.

As an American who has lived overseas, I am amazed at how divided we as a country are.

As a college student,I was astounded at how clueless the average American has become.

?What protects the average guy is assurance of the criminal getting caught and proper training in the use of self defense measures which “assault weapons” and high capacity hand guns play little role.?

The problem is the police don?t have to come to your aid, nor are they required to investigate a crime. That by rulings from the Supreme Court of the US. The police have stood by watched crimes while they are being committed and have done nothing. There are also some parts of the US where you can wait for more than an hour for the police to show up. What are you supposed to do then?

Most crime is done with cheap guns, both hand and long, that in fact most hunting rifles are more powerful then assault weapons and can take bigger clips. The assault weapons ban was really more about protecting the American gun manufactures than anything else. Notice their guns weren?t part of the ban, just the imported guns were. And most of them were only slightly modified so they were no longer considered an assault weapon. In the case of the SKS they just took off the bayonet and shipped them in.

??.proper training in the use of self defense measures?

Do you have any idea how long it takes to become proficient and maintain proficiently in self defense? You just don?t take an hour class and call it good. Personally I?ve spent over 6 years, learning self defense and martial arts, I have a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, I?m working on my black belts in hapkido and karate, I train people in self defense I recommend at LEAST six weeks of training, with refreshers every three months, on top weight training. BTW I don?t charge for self defense training or the refreshers, so there?s no incentive for me to drag out the classes neither does the hapkido or karate instructors, and they train the local PD in self defense. So it?s not just take one or two classes, it something you have to train and re-train for and most people just won?t do it. I can teach a person to properly use a hand gun in two weeks and have a refresher every three to six month. They don?t need to do weight training now your 75 year old grandma can protect herself from a thug no matter if he got a gun or not.

And the BIG problem with the assault weapons ban was only kept the guns out of the hands of HONEST people. It amazes me to know end how people think that just banning something will stop it. It doesn?t, look at drugs, I can go to almost any town and buy whatever drug you name. Heck I could go to most big cities and buy a PERSON and slavery has been outlawed since December 6, 1865. Yet you can still go buy a person, and you think by banning guns you?ll stop gun crime. I think not.

“Most crime is done with cheap guns, both hand and long, that in fact most hunting rifles are more powerful then assault weapons and can take bigger clips.”

Wow. Where are these hunting rifles that take clips (your word) larger than 30 rounds? That would be a new fact.

I’m talking about people who protest in front of a business, who try and get people fired, who protest in front of a church and assault people, all for expressing a point of view.

But people who protest in front of a business…are just expressing THEIR view. I have no problem with that what-so-ever. It seems that people who don’t like their protesting…is they’re the ones who aren’t tolerant.

Where people will riot when they don’t get their way, but don’t you dare say a word if you don’t get your way.

Rioting is something completely different. That’s taking a step beyond dialog. Now civil disobedience comes into play. But I have no problem with people protesting or any other peaceful way of expressing their view because they didn’t like what someone said or did. In fact I have no problem with people boycotting a business because of what they said or did. You saying it was WRONG in the 60’s for blacks to boycott a business because they REFUSED to serve blacks??? It’s called freedom of speech. Look it up. People can say ANYTHING they want to…just don’t be surprised if someone disagrees with you.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall - “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it,”

It sounds like you don’t want people to disagree with you. You just want to say your opinion and anyone who disagrees with you should NOT be allowed to speak. VERY VERY INTOLERANT if you ask me.

Rush Limbaugh is entertaining also…But that doesn’t mean he’s telling the truth.

Take some time to view Beck’s (or Limbaughs) SO CALL FACTS. Not only do both of them stretch the truth…BOTH have actually made up facts out of thin air to support their BELIEFS. If their beliefs are so strong then how come they have to make things up.

http://www.factcheck.org/tag/glenn-beck/

And Rush Limbaugh is about the same…

http://www.factcheck.org/tag/rush-limbaugh/

Just do a google search for the rest.

I started questioning Rush some years ago when he made the stupid statement that The Clinton Administration was anti-god and his proof was that the “Virgin Mary” stamp was not being printed that year.

About a week later…NPR wanted to verify this…And sure enough that stamp was NOT being printed…So they went further to find out WHY. So they got the man who’s in charge of deciding what stamps are printed and what ones aren’t on the show. The reason they weren’t printed that year was because it was their 10th printing in a row. And each year they try to make it different. Well it’s very difficult to make 10+ different images of the “Virgin Mary” on a 1 inch square. So they decided to drop it that year and then continue it in a couple of years by repeating the 10 starting from the first one.

Well, I see my missing post was moved for moderation queue, that mean a few people didn’t like my post or my point, which just goes to shows that the PC police are alive and well

This is NOT public forum. This is a forum owned and operated by a private company. They have every right to disallow any speech they don’t like.

Go to a KKK sight and try to post something Pro Black. Not only will it be removed, but there’s a good possibility they’ll try to find out who you are and hunt you down for posting it.

Personally, I could do without NPR. Other than being the only intellectual aspect of my life, NPR is only on my radio presets because of car talk. When Car Talk is not on, it is a great sleep aid.

“But people who protest in front of a business…are just expressing THEIR view.”

But their goal isn’t to express their point of view its to blackmail the business or shut the business down or deprive someone of their livelihood for expressing their opinion. Would you say it was OK for me and a bunch of my friends to protest in front of your house, making it impossible for you to live there? Go to your place of work and try and get you fired because we don’t agree with your opinion on an issue, or stop others from doing business with you?

Boycotting is complete different, if I don’t like you or your point of view I have the right not to spend my money at your business, and if enough people do that and you go out of business, than so be it, but when I stop people from going to your business and spending THEIR money, then I have crossed the line. The Blacks in the 60’s had every right not to ride the bus or spend their money at a store, but when they prevent other people from supporting that store they are trampling on their rights.

“People can say ANYTHING they want to…”

No they can’t, not now and they haven’t for a very long time, sorry for the both of us. There are many many laws that restrict speech. And in some cases you could wind up in jail for expressing your opinion.

I want people to express their views, in a rational manner. I’m tired of both sides screaming like a bunch of little babies when they don’t get their way.

“It sounds like you don’t want people to disagree with you. You …”

Then I’m afraid you misunderstand me, some of the people I most admire are on the other side of the issues I’m passionate about. The speak their mind in a rational manner, and yes it can get heated, but they make me think and I hope I do the same to them.

I also admire people who stand up for what they think is right. For example I feel those men who fled to Canada to avoid the draft are cowards, plain and simple, but those who said the war is wrong tore up their draft cards and took responsibility for their actions are heroes. They went to jail in many cases because they believed the war and the draft was wrong. I admire them and the men who were drafted and served.

And this site is run in part by public (federal) funds, sorry but if you take federal money you have to put up with a lot more then normal private company would.

As long as it not and ad or hate speech, then it should be allowed, like I said the PC police are in full action.

You can search and find them if you like.

Any gun that takes a clip can take a clip of 30+ rounds or more, so if you gun takes a clip, then odds are you can get a 30+ round clip for it. Of course if you can’t find one you can have one made or make one they aren’t that hard to make. If you have basic hand tools you could make a 30 round clip.

Heck give me a few weeks and I’ll build you a machine gun, odds are if you are handy with tools you could do it you have a basic shop set up. Guns aren’t that hard to build, look at the wwi, wwii machine guns, basic metal working skills and you can build one. I wouldn’t advise building the clip or the gun, it’s against the law, but I was pointing out there are very large clip for hunting guns.